Probs with Galeon

Daveleh

Good evening,

I have recently installed Galeon 1.2.6 from the December Linux Format DVD and am experiencing the following problem.

If I try to launch the program from the Kmenu or the taskbar at the bottom of the screen it starts to load and then stops.

If I launch the program from a shell terminal I get the following error message:

** CRITICAL **: file mozilla.cpp: line 134 (gboolean mozilla_preference_set (con

st char *, const char *)): assertion `new_value != NULL' failed.

and then Galeon starts OK.

Has anyone any ideas what I need to do to fix this problem ?

I have both a Mozilla and a Mozilla-1.1 directory in /usr/libs with Mozilla 1.1 launching when Mozilla is called and I have Netscape 7 Pre release 1 installed in /usr/local/netscape.

I am running ML8.2 with KDE2.2 on a Celeron 500 with 398Mb RAM, DVD & CDRW.

Any help appreciated

I use to get "file mozilla.cpp: line xxx" whenever I'd try to rebuild mozilla and galeon from .src. When you installed galeon 1.2.6 did you install a new mozilla? This has always been a must for me. I download galeon, mozilla and all the necessary mozilla libs into a folder I created, and install from there, all at the same time. Works everytime!

Hi bvc,

you said:

I use to get "file mozilla.cpp: line xxx" whenever I'd try to rebuild mozilla and galeon from .src. When you installed galeon 1.2.6 did you install a new mozilla? This has always been a must for me. I download galeon, mozilla and all the necessary mozilla libs into a folder I created, and install from there, all at the same time. Works everytime!

Thanks for the tip. I tried that, I reinstalled Moz1.1 and Galeon1.2.6 and even Netscape7pre release 1 but all to no avail, I still get the error mesage. When I tried running Galeon from the Kmenu I was able to submit a bug report when it crashed, hopefully this will sort it out.

Thanks again

Dave Le H

Well, I deleted all my old folders with the different mozilla/galeon versions, so I can't be exact here, but hopefully this makes sense.

say you have

mozilla-1.1-2mdk

libnspr-1.1-2mdk

galeon-1.2.5-2mdk

ect....

if you upgrade to galeon-1.2.6-xmdk, this usually requires downloding about 4 or 5 new rpms for mozilla; say

mozilla-1.1-3mdk

libnspr-1.1-3mdk

What's strange, is that you should be told what version of what is required when you installed them, if you had a wrong version. I went to

http://galeon.sourceforge.net/ where you can find out what versions of the mozilla/libs any particular galeon requires, but it's closed for maintenance.