Adding users

Urza9814

Aight, I was expecting that I'd be the only one in my family using Linux when I installed it...the rest of my family thought I was stupid for getting it...but now, 1 day after installing (yea, I'm a major newbie :-P) he decided he wants to use it now...and I can't figure out how to add a user! I found a program called userdrake under /usr/bin/ , and that looked to be it, and it did create the user, but you can't log in :-S anyone know what I need to do??

BTW - please explain it as simple as possible...yea, I'm a geek...I know some C++, etc...but I'm only 13, and this is my first day on linux :-P

It does have the group under /home, and it KINDA works...but not really...first, when i enter userdrake, it only shows 6 *s under password for some reason...and when I type in the first 6 (or more) letters of the password, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then returns to the login screen...but it doensn't say incorrect password or anything :-S

Since its only one day since the first install i would just go ahead and reinstall. I know this sounds so M$ but your first install sounds a little buggy.

Durning the install just add all the users you want.

Make sure you put in all the development packages you can and do an update as soon as the install is finished. That way you know you have good working system. If you have any trouble after that just post back.

Before you re-install (a sin in the linux world!) install the updates to the Mandrake tools. If you use kde, you can also go to K menu>configuration>other>User Administration, enter root password, and add users there. That might work without updating Mandrake. But you should install the updates.

Aight...I think it's really really buggy...which would explain why KDE and such all seemed insanely messed up...under the K menu, all I have is 'lock screen' and 'logout'...there is not 'configuration'...and I've been having other problems as well...I'll try reinstalling it

[edit]

AURGH! I can't get it installed again! last time it took me a day...ended up booting it from the ftp site...which isn't working! and the rest of the image files didn't work...GAH!

[edit 2]

ok, it turns out the server was down...this other one's hella slow, but hey, it works...

Edited by Urza9814