Ugly Fonts

AussieJohn

Hi all.

This ia not a troublesome problem but it is annoying since it is so ugly. :furious3:

Here is a screenshot,

file:/home/john/snapshot3.png

I hope it shows up OK.

I have tried just about all methods of changing the font but it is obvious I am missing something and I just can't see what it is . :unsure:

Can any help please . Thanks in anticipation.

John (69yrs young)

Edited by AussieJohn

You really expect us to see a screenshot that is on --> your <-- computer? :screwy:

Don't take this too personal, I just thought it was funny. :D

Edited by 1on1

hmmmm.....not quite sure what you're asking here AussieJohn. your screen shot isn't showing. so, just guessing here, you want to change the Konq menu/files fonts when you run it as root? if so, (going from memory here......work.......no 'nix :( ), while in Konq as root (IE: KDESU) try clicking on "tools" then "configure konqueror". there's a section in there where you can change/set fonts & use different style sheets & such. if this isn't what you're aiming for, then please describe your issue a bit better for me. :P

Chris

AussieJohn, you can attach your screenie by clicking >edit then just beneath the posting window you'll see

Enable emoticons?

Enable signature?

Enable email notification of replies?

[ Use None ]

and to the right of;

File Attachments

You may attach a file to this message.

Maximum file size: 1000k

a Browse button. Use that to find the screenie on your computer.

Thanks BVC that will help immensely. I hope I get this part right this time.

I find the file Attachment part AOK as you directed but for the life of me I can't find the EDIT to click on anywhere on the page except on Galeons tool tab at the very top, and clicking on it just drops a menu as usual with nothing that seems to be appropriate.

I know your method will be the right one ( you must have done it hundreds of times ). I have experimented with selecting the screenie in File Attachments and then doing a Preview Post and it does not work so that EDIT bit sure is the key.

I hate to seem so dumb :wall:

Please, mate I await your further hand holding.

Cheers. John

Thanks again BVC. (and SPINYNORMAN) Now I understand how the system works.:thumbs:

I should point out that I have tried the Konqueror Preferences -> Fonts and also Fonts in Look &Feel ut without success. This is in root only, in Account I can set up as I wanted OK

I think you would agree the text is damned ugly isn't it ??

Here's hoping there is answer to the problem.

Cheers.

Thanks again BVC for still trying to help. Yes I have tried all the usual methods of changing fonts but this one won't go away. I never selected it in the first place so I don't know what type it is. It is almost as if it was self installed to deter one from working in root because nothing seems to change it.

Cheers.

Try to run the kfontinstaller. I think it's in System in the KControl Center. Just find and pick a font to install.....here's my favorite;

http://home.houston.rr.com/bvc/mcity/LucidaGrande.ttf

Also look a .kderc in your user home directory (or root or whom ever your are). Here's mine;

[General]
StandardFont=aquafont,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
activeFont=aquafont,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
background=230,231,230
fixed=Terminus,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
font=LucidaGrande,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
menuFont=LucidaGrande,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
selectBackground=33,68,156
selectForeground=255,255,255
taskbarFont=LucidaGrande,9,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
toolBarFont=LucidaGrande,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
windowBackground=255,255,255
windowForeground=0,0,0

What fonts does it say are being used? Then we can move it to a bkup>restart xfs>and kde will be forced to find something else.

Edited by bvc

and you could try drakfont in the mandrake control center (mcc) to find it and remove it.

[EDIT] It looks to me like it is

usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives/beast_wars.ttf

delete or mv it. It's not a 'needed' font. Or remove the rpm and all the decoratives.

rpm -e --nodeps fonts-ttf-decoratives

If you delete or move it, and use xfs (X font Server), either logout and back in to kde or as root in a terminal do

service xfs stop && service xfs start &

Edited by bvc

I had the same problem with Konq, the font was OK as a user, but in su or root they were just like yours, horrible.

To change it, open up konq as su or root, click on settings, configure Konqueror. Then in the left hand menu, click on "appearance" (not fonts) and take your pick from the "Standard font" drop down list. I choose the Sans font, which is the default in Konq as a normal user. And thats it, fixed !!

Thanks ANON for your tip, however I am running 9.2 and I also checked into my 9.1 and in neither Kongi is there an "appearances" in the configure Konqueror. So I don't know if that was maybe the case in 9.0. Just the same, again THANKS.

Hello BVC . You were right on, it was beast_wars, and the rest of the Decoratives ??? all appeared to be pretty ugly as well. I had seen your most recent post so I tried to delete it by using drakefont but it just would not delete it (beast wars) or the entire decoratives so I went directly to the folder and deleted it and rebooted. When it came back to root I found that the font had changed to A.D._Mono and it too looked pretty uninspiring so again I deleted its folder called western and again rebooted. This time the new font appeared reasonable. I was much happier but I decided to continue to hunt for a way to select what I wanted.

I spent a whole afternoon and night searching without success and decided to update to the new kernel, the +4Gb (memory) and this went perfectly.

So I started to checkout what changes may have occurred to settings and such so naturally I clicked on "configure your desktop" got to <accessability>, no changes there.

Clicked on <components> -> components chooser, no changers there then -> file associations, no changes there either then -> FILE MANAGER then I noticed that there was NO Font listed in the box although a size of 12 was shown . So I thought what the hell, I'll select Century Schoolbook (which I happen to like) and reboot and see what happens. I re-enter root and click on Home and what do I find ??? the font is now Century Schoolbook and to double check I changed the File Manager font size to 16 ( I have a 21inch monitor) and again rebooted. When back again the Kongi font size was as I had selected.

To sum up:-

All the Configure in Kongi does is set things up for Kongi as a web browser .

File Manager has to be used to set the fonts for Kongi as a FILE browser/manager. I think it is safe to say I/we were all looking in the wrong place because nowhere is there any guidance to this aspect.

It is a shame that one cannot also select Bold especially when using a large screen as I do.

So problem is now solved. Thanks BVC for nursing me through this one. It encouraged me to get a solution instead of just putting up with the ugliness.

Thanks ANON for your tip, however I am running 9.2 and I also checked into my 9.1 and in neither Kongi is there an "appearances" in the configure Konqueror.  So I don't know if that was maybe the case in 9.0.  Just the same, again THANKS. 

Yes there is !!!

Im running 9.2 myself. click on the image below.

post-10-1074000117.ibf