ACPI thermal zone and Fan control problem

Guest vs77

The /proc/acpi/thermal_zone and /proc/acpi/fan directories are empty. I recompiled the kernel twice with these options <M> (it did not allow me to build it in the kernel). And I still dont seem to have anything in those directories.

Also I dont seem to be able to change the performance states with the following command

echo 4 > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/performance.

Though this command works for all other stuff?

I really appreciate all your help in this matter

lsmod

button                  6168  0 
thermal                13840  0 
processor              14756  1 thermal
fan                     4044  0 
ac                      5260  0 
battery                 9356  0

for the 2.6 kernel put them in /etc/modprobe.preload like this;

[root@ml root]# cat /etc/modprobe.preload
# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
# for old kernel use /etc/modules
hotplug
mousedev
i2c_dev
i2c_viapro
i2c_core
thermal
processor
fan
ac
battery
[root@ml root]#

# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY

Oh........

does

echo 4 > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/performance

work in put at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local and therefore set at boot? Some things can't be done on the fly? Though for the cpu it kinda would be anyway. Worth a try.

Edited by bvc

lsmod says that other than for the process the battery, fan etc etc is unused. What do those numbers mean anyways? Cause they are different.

And /etc/modeprobe.preload has only the commented entries.

Also the lsmod says that the i2c stuff is also unused. And how does modularizing the acpi and building it into the kernel affect the way AcPI works

How do I edit modeprobe.preload to add those lines or should I do it elsewhere. I just recomplied 2.4.22 kernel with all ACPI options and still got the same results

if the mods are loaded (shown in lsmod) and there's nothing in the dir for them then that means the kernel doesn't think it can use them. Building into the kernel probably won't help, but you could try. Shown as not being used means absolutely nothing and that goes for a lot of mods but the 2.6 is much better about this 'used' status w/ lsmod. You just can't use that as a gauge, if you will, on the 2.4. Some use that function some do not. Notice my thermal is not being used directly but through the processor. See the 'thermal' after the 1 with the processor module?

bash-2.05b# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
temperature:             39 C
bash-2.05b#

True my others probably are not....ac and battery are useless to me, I haven't pushed the button, and the fan isn't used unless I install and use lm_sensors and even then I don't know that it shows used. The best indication is if there is something in the dirs and you can cat them for status/report.

I suggest the 2.6. It's the first kernel to work with this mobo/acpi. I'm not using apm at all anymore. that's a first. There's a reason that most laptop owners are already running 2.6. It's awesome. Sure it has probs like any kernel <version> has and a few more, but for most, it's an improvement. Especially when it comes to acpi.

2.4 uses /etc/modules

2.6 uses /etc/modprobe.preload

Oh, and you have to be root to browse/cat /proc

Edited by bvc

Hmm.. in my case (regular Mandrake 9.2's updated kernel).. all I have to do to have acpi turned on in my toshiba is to install the acpi and acpid rpms, make sure both are enabled in drakxservices, add toshiba_acpi and toshiba in /etc/modules.conf and voila..

Of course, it's still not perfect.. but at least I can play around with the brightness settings, getting temperature reading, getting battery reading in my kde, etc.