Linuxconf - how start and use ?

DogTags

As far as I remember, Linuxconf was removed due to all the other tools available for configuring mandrake linux like the Mandrake Control Centre.

However, if you still wish to use it, it can be installed. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that mandrake advises that this is an either or situation though; you should either use linuxconf or use MCC, but not both.

However, I am less than certain on either point.

Guest kuchwas

Linuxconf produces problems with Mandrake. You are seriously advised NOT to use it with Mandrake.

As fuzzylizard states, it conflicts with all Drake tools.

I found webmin, which I've used before. It helps with quite a few things. I still am not comfortable with the MD tools, though, cuz sometimes I can't tell what it's changing - like when you change security levels, and I still haven't gotten virtual users working, even though I ran the wizard for this.

I appreciate your help pointing out that linuxconf could cause probs. Thanks. :)

Yeah yeah...

everyone knows what Im going to say so I won't bother repeating again....

But I want linux conf back.... I'd rather have linuxconf in RH/deb/... than one set of half working tools in each distro.

OK, mostly the drak tools work better than 50% but they are just too black box. Once more ANYONE.... where is the documentation (apart from the source)????

If distro's want to make wizards I'd prefer they maintained compatibility with mutlidistro tools like linuxconf and webmin than expecting webmin and linuxconf developers to modify it specially for each distro.

Gowator,

somehow I knew you were gonna say that.... :D

I don't mind the same things, I mind that some functionality that linuxconf has is just not there in MCC --- like exports of nfs drives etc. (Or have I just missed that? I really looked hard, then just did vi /etc/exports, with google figured out what to put there and all was fine..)

aRTee, perfect example. actually it isn't there becuase you have the nfs share your home instead!

Somehow its not the same :D

Mainly though its compatibility. Taken to its extreme (or perhaps just the way its going) it means that you won't be able to use SWAT for samba etc.

Webmin rocks. Works just the same on solaris,AIX,IRIS (and I presume BSD's) ... thats the beauty.

Some stuff (and I know this is my fav example) just won't work with the wizards...such as if you have two NIC's and wanna use the internet connection wiz and still be able to access from the gateway PC as well. Its not so much the lack of it working, more the lack of documentations and lack of warnings and its a real pain to back out of. The insert CD1 (it want to reinstall pppoe even if its already installed, like when you add a printer with printer drake) ...

Reminds me of win98 when you change TCP IP settings and it wants the Win98 Cd again!!!! UGGGHHH .. of course it already has everything it needs in \windows and \windows\system but it still asks for the CD. Luckily win98 lets you specifiy a location but the MDDK wiz won't. you just end up with a crippled PC (until you can access google again which means you already fixed it...irony ????)

Modding /etc/exports then exportfs -ra is relatively simple compared to creating a new network interface and writing /etc/netwokring.... its not that it can't be done just that you wish you'd googled before your network got screwed!!!