My Experience with Cooker 10.0 Preview

Steve Scrimpshire

I installed the Cooker 10.0 Preview that MDK made available on New Years Eve and I thought I would share my thoughts. Note that I chose the Expert install.

Pros:

-No problems installing because of my firewire, which caused the install of 9.2 to hang unless I choose 'noauto' at first boot.

-Graphical login screen that lets you choose between logging into X, remote login, or console login

-Wireless ethernet card initiation fails immediately when no network is present instead of going through a bunch of time-consuming searches (could be a 'con' too, though)

Cons

-No choice of which bootloader to install. lilo-graphic installed by default

-Still certain obvious packages are not installed when you choose their category (i.e. xmms is not installed by default with Multimedia pkgs)

-Console login, then su to root, then do some things and Ctrl-D bumped me back to the graphical login instead of just back to regular user at console (may have been a one-time thing)

-No DrakfFirstTime wizard (but that could've been because I didn't format my /home partition, so it could be a 'pro')

-Trident Blade3D card: lilo-graphic I can't tell which choice is highlighted, so it is a guess

Suggestions

-Midnight Commander should be installed by default with Console Tools (I couldn't even find it)

-Fluxbox!

-Let obvious pkgs be installed when you choose their category. I mean, if I choose Development, why do I still have to install things later if I try to compile a simple *.tar.gz download?

Guest kuchwas

Good feedback, thanks!

I've inquired into Cooker about the best way to get this feedback to the developers, sinc I don't think any of them read this board.

I'll let you know when I find out.

Here's another BIG Con:

MandrakeUpdate is broken since there is no update_source available, since it is still Cooker and trying to do

urpmi --auto --auto-select

tries to upgrade sash, which conflicts with glibc and glibc can't be removed or upgraded, since there is no update for it and uninstalling it breaks the system. Trying to uninstall sash, it tells you:

"Are you crazy??? You can't uninstall base-system-blah-mdk!!!!"

I work around it like this:

urpmi --auto --auto-select --excludepath sash

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Guest kuchwas

Fixed today. sash-3.6-2mdk.i586 just installed on my machine with no errors. Showed up on 31/12/03, the day the snapshoot was done, Would have been done in a couple days at most except for the holidays. By my count 43 bugs were cleared today. The urpmi --keep flag works too.

[root@localhost omar]# date
Mon Jan  5 22:53:48 EST 2004
[root@localhost omar]# urpmi.update -a
computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)
examining MD5SUM file
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
examining MD5SUM file
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]
examining MD5SUM file
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf.cz]
[root@localhost omar]# urpmi --auto --auto-select --keep
Some package requested cannot be installed:
sash-3.6-1mdk.i586 (in order to keep glibc-2.3.3-1mdk.i586)

Guest kuchwas

Your mirror is not updated yet. Note my last post verion number I have:

rpm -q sash

sash-3.6-2mdk.i586

Weeeee! :D

rpmtools-4.5-15mdk.i586 (in order to keep rpmdrake-2.1-35mdk.i586) (Y/n)

Edited by kuchwas

I had tried everything, I thought, but I just removed all my media and only added:

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandra...ke/RPMS.cooker/

and now it works.

And my problem with the Console login is worse than I thought. If I stay on the console for a while instead of booting into X, it will randomly switch me back to the graphical login. Selecting 'Console login' again, brings right back to the console where I'm still logged in and I haven't lost my place in what I was doing.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I hope you're giving this great feedback (especially that first post - ALL OF IT) straight to mandrake! It'll be worth it!

Let's remember that it's not just the mandrake that's wobbley - Xfree's beta, KDE's beta, AND the kernel already has an rc for 2.6.1 when cooker's using 2.6.0

It's almost a wonder it works at all!