Linux's Best (and Worst) Year Ever

linux_learner

JDS is the Java Desktop System. It is the new desktop/window manager that Sun Microsystems is developing. (And it has almost nothing to do with java)

Novell is a Unix company that recently bought out both Ximian and Suse. Ximian is a the main company that develops the Gnome desktop. They are also responsible for Evolution and several other applications. Suse is a German(?) linux distribution.

Java Desktop System

Ximian

Suse

Novell

You need to know what they mean by 'desktop' to understand. I have been following the Destop Linux thing for a while now. Time for some definitions: linux is used in several ways:

Servers

Clusters (aka Beowulf Linux)

Desktop

Many think of the GUI as Desktop Linux. This is NOT true. Desktop Linux is almost exclusively focused on the Enterprise (business). Desktop is doing things like using Microsoft Office, which is what all the Whining is about. In the Enterprise, the desktops are the computers that are usually connected to the servers, or stand alone systems.

I will use myself as an example. I do not have a LAN here and only have one computer right now. I use Linux on the Desktop, even though my desk is a partial sheet of plywood with custom legs (one side has 2 shelves for reams of paper, and the other is for my full tower case. Eight legs in total.).