The GIMP and psd files

Ixthusdan

Does anyone use theGimp? I am trying to edit some large psd files (Adobe Photoshop). These files are on a dvd and are in layers for editing and rearranging. But when I try to open them, they reach the point of display and the Gimp has an internal error, and closes. How do I troubleshoot this??

Oh, my machine works on them just fine in windex xppro and photoshop 7.

Looks like it might be too new of a version of photoshop! It had a lot of unrecognized layer styles. But it will launch from the console, and not from the menu! Go figure. It is real slow. Maybe I need more ram? But xp is a ram monster and it works there just fine.

if you're using the old 1.2 version of GIMP i can see how you might be having the "too new of a version" issue. i would suggest installing gimp-1.3 devel version, it should be in contrib i think

Yes, in CorelDraw, I can ungroup the layers and manipulate them further. My sign program is a great program, but all the elements of a graphic need to be ready for production prior to importing it. I don't use windex at home very much, so whatever I do here needs to be able to go back into the windex programs I have at work. I am going to look at the cache. Are there any rpm's for the devel version, or do I compile with the tarball?