NTFS resize

phunni

Diskdrake/QtParted General

I follow Roland, any time you change/delete a reboot is healthier than not....

One BIG thing....

Don't stick in ANY usb drives you don't have to.

This can play havock with Qtparted AND diskdrake becuase it tries writing all the parts on all disks.

I seriously reckon the SAFEST way is from knoppix or a bootable CD and precreate your partitions before the installer......

Then nothing ever gets mounted by accident and rereads of the partition table can be done with reboots which is obviously not the easiest install.

My experience is when this fsck's up its writing the partition table and it hangs and you end up with no partition table.

Hence, either write down the beg/end sectors first .... or do it a disk at a time.

On clean new drives, during install or with a system running from cd or from another hd, no problem.

As long as partitions are not being renumbered, no problem.

I've done all of the above, even on drives that had the root partitions, deleted and merged partitions (well, deleted 3 and made 1 instead).

In some rare occasions I had to reboot, the system indicated this.

On the whole, it does say: backup your data first. As long as you don't click 'ok' it won't hurt your drive. If you click 'ok', well, you agreed.

Even with perfect tools, the power could fail, your wife/gf/housemate/whatever could trip over the power cable or pull the plug by accident, whatever.

The man without backups is the one that shouts the loudest that things suck, but in reality, he needs a mirror.

What was that what Linus said: real men don't make backups, they upload to the internet and have the world mirror the files.

That said, Roland -- good job on getting them to notice this bug, let's hope they fix it.

Gowator, thanks for the tip of not having any usb drives connected. With these cardreaders and everyone having extra cards, one in the digital camera and one lying around, this may become a showstopper in some cases, if the one lying around is in the cardreader... :)

Yeah, the pb occurs becuase some mass storage uses /dev/sda NOT /dev/sda1 and the single partition is implicit.

Becuase disk drake and QtParted both open all disks and defer writing till the end when the write is on all disks this one 'disk' can stop thewhole partition table writes.....

The safest is always from bootable CD like using rescue mode in the Mdk Install CD or a live distro like knoppix.

Theoretically only a disk which has a mounted partition modifed needs a reboot....

Another ..gotcha (I did this)

If you use another disk to backup to then TAKE IT OUT DURING INSTALL (unplug the cable) ... that way if the power does fail on the partition write it can't touch that drive.