Lindows: Linux distro for the masses

ral

Guest jglen490

Maybe I just don't "get it", but what is the big deal about Lindows?

Personally, I agree with M$ on this one, of course for different reasons. A Linux that takes great pride in, and great pains to point out, how it works with Windows is not helping.

People see that and come to the miserable conclusion that Linux is just something else that runs under Windows. And how many times has that question come up!!

Well from recent press releases and such Lindows doesn't/can't take great pride in running Winblowz apps because (suprise suprise) M$ said so, and because they actually can't run that many winblowz apps to begin with. It was all over hyping just to get product out there and make money. I do however, think that Lindows is not a horrible idea, it just got stuck with some really stupid pr people.

I think one of the biggest things with linux is the installing of new software/hardware and it is one of the major boundaries to n00bs 8) as we say. From what I've heard (haven't actually tried Lindows yet) it actually does a good job at handling software installs automatically and in fact is easier to use.

No its not for hardcore Linux users, or even people that are computer savy and willing to get there hands dirty, but thats not the market its intended for. I see it as being sold to people who do nothing more then use there computer as a post office and newspaper with a few occasional bonuses on the side.

my 2 cents any way.

What Lindows offers that is probably disarable to a segment of the market is the ability to run MS Office 97/2000 (CrossOver Office is part of this distro). It also features Click-and-Run. These are Linux apps that can be downloaded and installed on Lindows.

Lindows interpretation of what the Market needs/wants is ability to use MS Office, easier installation of apps and a simple install procedure. With referrence to the first, it seems the peopel are able ot adjust two Linux than to Open/Office. But than again, OpenOffice has only been around two years so it should get better now that the community is developing it. WIth referrence to the second, it is too bad that all distro's could not standardized to one installation/package manager. Even RPM based distro's still need different files to owrk properly. WIth referrence to the last item, well I think most lInux distro's will be offering this feature soon. RedHat's 8.0 install is a breeze.

Another, "consumer" Linux - Lycoris, has WIneX built in.

Guest jglen490

Thanks for the input. I agree, it's a "show me the money" kind of thing.

Been to their site -- lots of flash and dash, but came off feeling like I'd just been to a M$ office party (yes, pun intended).

No thanks!! When I send out our Christmas cards this year, no one will know that the letter was created in KWord :D !!

• 2 weeks later...