Synaptics Touchpad on 9.2

RainierPeak

Hi!

A while back (seems like it at least!), I tried Mandrake 9.1, which worked alright overall but was still a bit awkward to use, at least in terms of SuperMount. Now I'm using 9.2 and delighted to say that SuperMount works like a charm, and the sound works flawlessy, so I finally have a Linux distro that I can use for all my multimedia needs! Thanks MandrakeSoft! (Now if only a halfways decent jukebox [i.e.: RealJukebox or iTunes, but open-source] that didn't crash every 5 seconds [e.g: JuK] were available...)

Anyway, the one big problem I have now is with the dang touchpad of my Dell Inspiron. It seems to 'click' all the time when I don't want it to. On Libranet I just installed 'tpconfig' (courtesy of apt-get) and it worked perfectly, but tpconfig seems to have no effect here. When I try running it as root, it says:

Timed out waiting to read from device (is pc_keyb.c kernel patch installed?)

Does this mean I have to recompile the kernel to get it to work? Has anybody installed tpconfig successfully on 9.2? Is there any other way to stop to stop the annoying tap-mode of the touchpad? Thanks!

--Mike

Mandrake Linux 9.2, Libranet Linux 2,8, Win98SE, Win2K

You're correct that you're supposed to run it from a startup script. The installer (whether RPM or 'make install') does that for you automatically. Sure enough, /usr/bin/tpconfig exists, the startup script was installed to /etc/rc.d/init.d/touchpad, and there are links to it in the startup directories for runlevels 3 and 5 (/etc/rc.d/rc3.d and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d, respectively), exactly how they should be. Yet it's never being run during startup. I even tried rerunning /sbin/lilo to no avail (big surprise there). Any ideas why a seemingly valid startup script isn't running?

--Mike

Nah; when it wasn't working as a startup script, out of desperation I tried the only thing I could think of: su'ing to root and running /usr/bin/tpconfig directly (which led to the error message I described in my first message), most likely just as you thought when I first mentioned it. What I was trying to say was that neither method (startup script or running directly) seemed to be working, and what went wrong with each (i.e.: nothing at all happening with the former, and the error message with the latter). Sorry for the confusion!

So any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by RainierPeak