GUI won't load on Mandrake 9.2 w/ Radeon 9600 XT

RezidentEvil09

I have been looking for help on this for a few days now, and have been very unsuccessful. I'm a total newb to Linux and when people tell me how to do things, I have no idea what they mean. So here's the deal. I installed Mandrake 9.2 on my computer, and when it comes time to load the GUI (KDE) the screen flickers a few times and comes to a command prompt type screen. I know it has something to do with my monitor and/or video card (Radeon 9600 XT). I've tried going into xf86config and changing the setting to generic radeon and again to VESA. I think I'm doing something wrong at the end of xf86config when I choose to save the changes. I'm not sure if it's saving the changes to the exact file used or to a different one, and that's why I'm not getting any different results. Could somebody please help me on this. Again, I'm a total newb so your going to have to explain things a little more thoroughly than you usually would. Thanks.

:help:

I finally got it working :D , I had to re-install Mandrake and say my video card was generic VESA. I'm assuming that at some time I will have to install real drivers for my card, but I've downloaded a couple of things like AIM and Mozilla Firebird. I can't figure out how to install them. Could somebody help me out on this? I'm trying not to sound like a total newb lol.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got it working  :D , I had to re-install Mandrake and say my video card was generic VESA. I'm assuming that at some time I will have to install real drivers for my card, but I've downloaded a couple of things like AIM and Mozilla Firebird. I can't figure out how to install them. Could somebody help me out on this? I'm trying not to sound like a total newb lol.

I'm a noob to Linux as well, glad you managed to get things working, I have a Nvidia card so I couldn't help you with the install of the ATI card as I have never tried to install there drivers. Your problem with installing Mozilla and Aim won't be a problem as long as you follow the instructions on installing RPM's here (as long as they are RMPs :)

Good luck

I believe Mozilla Firebird is pre-compiled. All I did was download the tar.gz, and type the following in a console in the directory to where I d/l'ed it

tar zxvf MozillaFirebird-0.7-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
su [ENTER ROOT PASSWD]
mv [NAME OF EXTRACTED DIRECTORY] /usr/share

Remember to hit TAB 'cause it'll fill in the long filenames and directory names for you. su Switches User to root, and the zxvf in the "tar" line is for: use gZip; eXtract; Verbose (show filenames); & Filename. F tells tar that the filename follows, in other words "f" always comes last.

Side note: To create a tar.gz (*nix ZIP file in windows lingo), type "tar czf filename.tar.gz" for: Create; use gZip; & Filename

Cheers!

PS - Use Gaim for AIM. One easy RPM. su to root, type "urpmi gaim[TAB]". Be sure TAB fills in the downloaded rpm cause otherwise I think it'll use the one on cd3 which is older and has since been updated for the new msn and yahoo and maybe aim too. Link is below my friend!

http://gaim.sourceforge.net

Edited by static

• 2 weeks later...

RezidentEvil09 found the same solution as I did, re-installing with general VESA. Problem is, there is no 3D acceleration (no openGL at all). If you go to the ATI website, there is a lenghty walkthrough of how to install the driver and enable 3D. Basically what seems to be happening is that the OS is accessing the MESA libraries instead of the Radeon openGL libs (fglxr). I am short on time, and the proccess is quite long, so I quit after downloading and installing the kernel module from one of the Mandrake mirrors. So, no openGL for now (no quake III or UT, seems that I have to use the computer only for work, eheh). Before I upgraded the video, 3D worked (almost) perfectly well with a Matrox G550. Anyway, this is what I can suggest you, unless after all these days you already found a solution (and in this case please let me know).

P.S. Static, good to see you around (since the old Mandrake forum).

I have the same problem. I have an intel 3.2 Ghz. processor ASUS motherboard with i875p chipset (north bridge), and onboard intel pro 1000 (82547EI) controller, add-on-card ati radeon 9600 pro. Beleave it or not SuSE 9.0 had hang up !! MDK 9.2 did not recognize neighter intel ethernet card/1000 (gigabit) nor ati radeon 9600 pro. I have downloaded the both software drivers (linux distro independent drivers) but hopeless. This is the Linux famous Distros. I Microsoft world there is a unique Distro, the old and less relaible Microsoft. But what about linux Distros????

Just think of it .....!!!!

More and more software drivers support. 6 years is gap between Microsoft windows products (1985 with IBM) and Linux (Linus Torvalds, 1991). Should linux fans wait 6 years to get a proper linux product (bug free), more times a month giving updates. Really what is going there. Mdk 9.x, mdk 10 beta1 and ecetra. I have to to be more serious to cretesize Mandrake in order to make a relatively perfect product NOT product for uninterested people.

More energy and good management.

Dubish Fahd

:devil:

• 4 weeks later...