no lp0 in /dev/usb !!

MottS

Hi all

I have an usb printer that is _usually_ working #1. It is _usually_ listed in /dev/usb as lp0.

I'm also using vmware time to time and this morning I had to print something within vmware. So I unloaded the printer driver and shot down cups (rmmod printer && service cups stop). Then I opened vmware and pluged by usb printer to the virtual machine (clic device, then usb and then Epson Usb Printer). The virtual machine when up very nicely... like usual. Then I opened up m$ word and printed what I needed. Everything went well. When I was done with it I shot down vmware and did a 'service cups restart' (this modprobe the printer module too). Then I tryed to print an image.. nothing. tryed to print a text file ... nothing. The printer is dead. So I restarted the printer (off and on again) and went to /dev/usb and lp0 isn't there anymore!!! Even if I 'rmmod printer' and 'service cups restart' or whatever commands.... lp0 don't want to come back so now if I http://localhost:631, there is 2 files in queue and cups tells me 'printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds'. But the printer is on !! .. it is just not listed in /dev/usb.

I have to print in vmware and don't want to have to restart my computer everytime I have to print in it..

Anyone have a solution ?????????????? I know that restarting my computer would do the trick but come on.. it is not normal to have to reboot a computer to use the printer..

HELP

MottS

I did a bit of research and it seems that the printer cannot be re-attached to the host system (Linux) until the system is rebooted.

Here it is (look at the end of the page):

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=usb+print...ters.com&rnum=5

But I refuse to beleive it..grrrrrrrr

Anyone have experience that?

MOttS