Adding Mandrake client to Samba server

Amy_Anderson

I have been trying all day to get my mandrake 9.0 to mount the public directory on my network. If anyone can help me with loging on to the network (mandrake 8.2, with Samba 2.2 file server) I would greatly appreciate it. I have downloaded and installed LinNeighborhood and it does not seem to work. Any suggestions? I know it has to be simple, I am just missing it....help! If I can get this machine connected, Ihave a strong chance of turning the company into a full Linux based company. We are already using open office, this is one of my last steps! Thanks so much.

Amy

open up mandrake control center

select the mounts section

select the samba section

click the search servers button

select the computer with the samba share you want

it will show a plug select it and click the mount point button

enter a mount point or use the defined one.

click ok

click mount to mount it

click done

it will ask you if you want to write it too fstab

click yes if you want it too be availible on reboot

thats it i think.

Hope this helps you out.

Happy Mandraking

Hello

well, I don't know where you are at this point

but have you share a directory in your smb.conf

then, you go to Control Centre or LinNeighbour

and you should see the share file.

after you can mount it.

LinNeighbour is not working or it's up and running but

you can see anything there.

post more, tell us where u r at.

Daniel

thank you thank you, I have tried that and when I choose the mount point and then ask it to mount is fails.....do I also have to mount the login?  Maybe that is the key.  I also looked for my /etc/ftab and it does not even exist!!   I was going to modify my ftab in MC but it is not there......

If you did not have a fstab then you computer wouldn't bootup. fstab not ftab.

Is it actually a public share? or is it a user share?

If its a user share you would need to authenticate via username and password.

If it is a public shared eg readable by anyone without authentication then the method i stated should work.

I have been trying all day to get my mandrake 9.0 to mount the public directory on my network.   If anyone can help me with loging on to the network (mandrake 8.2, with Samba 2.2 file server) I would greatly appreciate it.  I have downloaded and installed LinNeighborhood and it does not seem to work.   Any suggestions?  I know it has to  be simple, I am just missing it....help!   If I can get this machine connected, Ihave a strong chance of turning the company into a full Linux based company.  We are already using open office, this is one of my last steps!   Thanks so much.

Amy

Please clarify what is running on the client, and what is running on the server ... you aren't very clear.

I GOT IT!!! Thank you very much. I went into mandrake control center, went to mount points, then samba mount points. Search servers and went into advanced mount options. I was then able to put my username and password in and waaaalaaaaa it mounted. Now I have to try to mount a samba share not found when searching. I very much appreciate all your help, I could not have done it without all your ideas!!

Amy :oops: