No video after boot

RodrigoDC

Hi,

I have just installed mdk 9.2 with W2K dual booting succesfully...or so I think. I have a dual monitor configuration and a PC with AMD athlon 1.4 Mhz processor, 512 MB memory, and an AGP crad and a PCI card (I have disabled the on-board card at the BIos).

It turns out, that after I boot my computer, I select linux and all goes well on my TFT monitor. Then, after the booting process ends, all video simply goes out. I have re-installed mdk several times and I am always able to successfully accomplish the installation.

I have even tried taking the AGP card out and leave only the PCI video card (thinking that it could be a dual card issue), but the same thing happens.

What could the problem be? Any hints would be appreciated.

:help: RV

I'd love to post such config file, but how do I get to it?

in a console/terminal type

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ./

That should copy this file into the directory you are currently in, which if you just opened up a terminal will be your home directory /home/your_username

Also you can try running XFdrake as root at the console too. this may fix your problem.

Edited by illogic-al

I appreciate your suggestions, but I cannot get to a console since I cannot boot into linux. AS a result, I cannot run XFdrake for the same reason.

I am not sure if this is right, so please correct me if I can still run a terminal even though I am unable to boot into linux...

how can you not boot into linux? maybe you mean you can't boot into X which is the graphical system for linux. do you see a login screen asking for username and password? if you do then your in linux. You would log in as root there and then type in XFdrake

No, I cannot boot into Linux, that's what I have been saying. You see, before booting into W2K or Linux (or floppy or whatever), I get the booting interface. I choose linux, then there is a booting "time" graphic. When the "time" graphic is complete (the bar fills up), there's where the problem begins.

I assume that the next step would be to login, but my screens go black. That is the problem.

I apologize if I was not clear.

Using the first cd, at the boot splash, hit F1 and type rescue. I think there is an option to mount your partitions under /mnt. If you can, you can then navigate to the requested file. Only I don't know which program is loaded this way for copying! Anyone else? bvc?

No, I cannot boot into Linux, that's what I have been saying. You see, before booting into W2K or Linux (or floppy or whatever), I get the booting interface. I choose linux, then there is a booting "time" graphic. When the "time" graphic is complete (the bar fills up), there's where the problem begins.

I assume that the next step would be to login, but my screens go black. That is the problem.

I apologize if I was not clear.

ok, do this. when you get to the time graphic hit [Esc] button and then watch the screen and tell us if any Errors pop up

framebuffer (fb) is the problem. To get things working (visual) we need to turn it off. This is done with the bootloader passing parameters to the kernel/initrd among other things. When you see the time graphic hit Esc and type

linux splash=quiet vga=normal

and hit Enter. Now can you see? B)

Using the first cd, at the boot splash, hit F1 and type rescue. I think there is an option to mount your partitions under /mnt. If you can, you can then navigate to the requested file. Only I don't know which program is loaded this way for copying! Anyone else? bvc?

not exactly sure what you're asking? :unsure:

I think you mean

at the boot splash, hit F1 and type rescue>choose mount your partitions under /mnt>go back to the menu and choose Go To Console>then type

chroot /mnt

and hit Enter. Then???? lx???? what do you want to do? Edit /etc/lilo.conf? That's what I would do to include the above code.....assuming it fixes the problem.

splash=quiet

vga=normal

Edited by bvc

Ok, everyone, here's what I was able to find out:

- I tried with FI>rescue, to no avail.

- I tried using ctrl-alt-F1 when the screens (remember, I have dual cards), but nothing happens

- I managed to load the XFdrake utility, and the interface appears to detect my graphics card (nVidea ATI Radeon), my plug-and-play TFT monitor (custom), and my resolution (1024x728, 24 app).

- I re-installed mdk 9.2 without one of the video cards, in hopes that it only identifies my TNT card. The same thing happens again and again.

To recap, the problem is as follows: after successful installation, the lilo bootloader comes on, I select Linux, and the time bar begins to fill up, and about half-way there (in fact, right after it says "starting laslouth..." - can't read the rest but it follows a few lines after "setting mixer settings"), the screens go blank. I am thus forced to reboot, and yes, the it remounts stuff that I do not understand. After it "fixes" my "unclean shut down", it reboots, only to repeat the entire affair again.

One more thing: while booting (on verbose mode), my speakers also do a awful noise when the line "setting mixer settings" appears. This is the typical echo noise heard when my mic is open and the speakers reflect the sound. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the above, but I just though to try.

So, I am still stuck with what appears to be a good installation, but no image. Any other solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo :wall:

BVC,

I was unable to follow your suggestion because whenever the time bar appears and I heat esc, I cannot type anything. All I can see is lines of text going at 100 miles and our, mountig files, and loading i don't know what else.

Even if I hit esc several times, the loading process ignores me and keeps on going.

I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly, but it sure is strange. I think I followed your instructions, but I simply cannot type linux spalsh = quiet or anything esle for that matter.

Any ideas? :puter:

RV