Hauppage winTv

Ric

Guest kuchwas
I have bought a Hauppage WinTv card because i had read they work with mandrake  but it didn't.

found out it had the cx88*  chipset and google'd around for a bit and found http://bytesex.org/cx88/

but i dont know what to do with that,

anybody have any ideas what to do, or another sollution to get it working.

Ric

That IS the kernel module for your TV card. You need to download, build, and install it. There are instructions on the site for how to build and install. They are clear and well written. Try to read through them first to get a feel for it, then work through them step by step.

Make certain that you have installed the kernel-source rpm for the kernel that you are using. If you are not certain about that, open a terminal and type "uname -a" to get the kernel version.

With the modules built, then you need to use modprobe (again in root terminal) to install them, "modprobe cx88", I would also do "modprobe i2c_core tuner tvaudio soundcore videodev"

Then see if your TV program launches. If not, go back to your root term and post the ouput of "lsmod" here.

You will need to add cx88 to your modules.conf, and possible a few other parameters.

Also try to Google for "cx88 WinTV modules.conf" and see what hits you get .

Good luck, let us know if it works or not, and we'll go on to the next steps as needed.

Thanks for the reply, I have since taken that card back to the shop and swapped it for a pinnacle pctv rave card, now i can get a picture but only static for sound dose anybody have any experiance with this card/thoughts ideas (dose this now need a new thread)

Ric

Guest kuchwas
Thanks for the reply, I have since taken that card back to the shop and swapped it for a pinnacle pctv rave card, now i can get a picture but only static for sound dose anybody have any experiance with this card/thoughts ideas (dose this now need a new thread)

Ric

It is likely a bttv card, and the btaudio drivers are not loading, or are not configured correctly.

Take a look in file:///usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST on your computer to see if your card is listed. Then you likely have to add the card= tuner= pll= radio= stuff to modules.conf.

Google will give you about a gazillion hits for bttv!

• 3 months later...
That IS the kernel module for your TV card.  You need to download, build, and install it.

Thats a great response there kuchwas

It does say that these modules come with the 2.6.x kernals.

I am trying with mdk10.0 and a PixelView PlayTV HD that uses the CX23881 chipset.

i got a (bad) picture after doing

modprobe cx88xx

The picture was running with "gradbdisplay" and no overlay (and no sound.)

any suggestions ??

replies much appreciated

Edited by DaveQB

Ric

it says here http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid...ave&svbname=403 That you need a DirectX 8 compatible sound and graphics board.... could that have anything to do with not having any sound?

i use the onboard nForce2 sound

i was going to try the line in port next time i give it a go.

I know theres still some troubles with NF2 boards and sound (lack of sound storm drivers)

Could this be my problem ??

Another problem i have, which might be related is that even with ALSA, only one device can use the sound card at a time

eg if i am playing music and Gaim beeps up, it cuts the music at the end of the song and plays back all queued up Gaim message beeps.