Qt errors when running ./configure command

LukeK

Hello all,

I have a quick question. When installing programs, I've come across the need to compile and install them myself. Whenever I run the ./configure command on virtually any program, it starts going through the normal steps but then stops when it reaches the part where it checks for Qt. It prints out the following error:

Checking for Qt...configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0.3) (library qt-mt) not found. Please check your installation!

I have installed Qt 3.1.1-13 and virtually every other supporting package that it might need. From the very little that I read/know about makefiles, it looks like it is searching in the right directory for Qt. On google it appears that this error comes up often yet none of the solutions online that I have read (and understood) have worked.

I appreciate any advice you folks might be able to give. Thanks for your time,

Luke K

well there could be a few things going on here.

first did you run ldconfig since installing qt and its suppporting files?

did you install developement/lib/includes packages?

did you run ./configure --help to see if you can set the path to your qt location?

(do you know where qt is installed)

have you logged out then in since installing qt and related packages?

generally if you have everything install for qt and it is in your $PATH and ld conf then it should be autodetected and if it is not then you have to determine if qt is in in your paths. (which could be as easy as logging in them out).

yep, you need

libqt3-devel

libqt3-devel:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so

libqt3-devel:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/pkgconfig/qt-mt.pc

here's how to find out;

[root@ml root]# urpmf qt-mt
libqt3:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.la
libqt3:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.prl
libqt3:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
libqt3:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.2
libqt3:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.2.3
libqt3-devel:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so
libqt3-devel:/usr/lib/qt3/lib/pkgconfig/qt-mt.pc
[root@ml root]#

This tip will come in handy for other times as well if you get the error and you think you have it installed. Sometimes (but not always), when you get that error on compiling, it is looking for the *-devel package even though it doesn't say *-devel.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I have installed lib-qt3dev. In fact there are no other devel packages associated with qt3 that I have not installed. Qt3 and all of the components you mentioned, bvc, are installed at the paths you gave. The filenames that resulted from the urpmf command were slightly different due to varying versions (and I also didn't come up with a libqt-mt.la). It seems as though everything is installed where it's supposed to be. Anything else I might try? Thanks again!

Luke K

well i did give you some suggestions previously.

if you have no logged off (no not shut down) then back in then perhaps qt is not being detected yet becuase the path addtions may not have taken effect.

alternatively if you have then perhaps the configure scripts are looking for qt named in a standard fashion while the rpms you installed may have changed the naming on some of the paths. (ie configure scripts are looking for qt in /opt/qt or /usr/local/lib/qt or /usr/lib/qt while the rpms have a qt3 in place of qt). in which case you will need to set the path in your configure options. (see ./configure --help for your options)

I haven't built anything qt related for a long time but there was a time that some pkgs absolutley refused to do anything unless you had the exact version specified in the error even if older. One more reason why I'm a gnomer now. Note: you can have many versions of qt installed to take care of this.

Sarah -- sorry, I neglected to mention that I have indeed logged out and back in. Also from what I could tell from the config files, they were looking in the exact place that qt3 was installed. I could be in error on that one though.

Bvc -- I decided to try out Gnome and see how I liked it. I found a Gnome replacement for the program I was looking to install in KDE and everything worked out well there. If you folks will forgive me for changing the topic, I have a question about compilation and installation errors in Gnome.

When attempting to install a program by .rpm I receive an error message regarding missing dependencies.

The original program says it is missing the following programs:

gnome-python

gnome-python-gconf

So I go to rpmfind and download the two dependencies.

After installing gnome_python_2.0.0 I move onto gnome-python-gconf

This installation gives me errors saying python_base2.3 is missing.

SO off to rpmfind I go to download the missing program and also to the python site to download the source, in case.

I compiled and installed the source code first but this yields no difference, the gconf rpm still reports it missing.

I then install the python_base2.3 rpm and it asks to remove:

libeel2_2-devel...

libglade2.0_0devel

libnautilus

libpython

python-2.2.2-6mdk

I said yes and it proceeded.

From there I go back to gnome-python-gconf.rpm and install that (which finally installs correctly).

I then return to the original program file and re-attempt to install. It reports that gnome-python is still missing despite the fact that I (apparently) installed it without problems by .rpm. I uninstall the rpm and go find the source code for gnome-python.

Compilation errors say I'm missing the headers for python. So I return yet again and find the rpms for the python headers (regular and devel). The regular libpython installs correctly but the devel package goes off on a bunny trail of missing dependencies.

So here I am, after going through that process a couple of times and trying various other things. Thank you VERY much for your time and advice.

Luke K

well, you're using an rpm-based distro and compiling.....so welcome to dep-hell. Setup some good urpmi sources and stick with rpm's is my suggestion. I know that doesn't help your compiling prob, but that is why it is called dep-hell and why I don't do it anymore, and why most don't do it anymore. Urpmi is too easy to spend hours with deps. Want to compile go Slackware, gentoo or a host of others...anything not rpm. Good luck!