9.2 install probs. on Shuttle SN41G2

mikeoneil

Some problems I have with 9.2 (retail Power Pack edition) on a Shuttle SN41G2 (nforce2).

1. Froze 4 times during install at different points, reset button the only cure.

2. Finally installed, but failed to detect DVI connected monitor and network. Fixed easily enough by editing XF86Config-4 and installing freshly compiled nForce (nvnet) drivers from nvidia.

3. Started updating from official site a few packages at a time. At some point all menu items were lost, had to issue update-menus to get them back.

4. All the above were easily fixed, though had this been my first introduction to Linux I would not have got past point 2.

5. My / partition is 5GB and is 88% full! I cannot see where this space is used. Also a partition /photo has no files but is 8% used! (hidden files option on). I noticed I had used ext2 instead of ext3 so I decided to reinstall from scratch.

6. To make updates a bit easier I downloaded the entire update/rpms directory from an ftp site to burn on a cdrom. During burning (k3b) the system froze, again reset button the only option. During normal use I have had 3 random freezes where the only way out is the reset button.

I'll give it one more try before moving back to 9.1 which by the way was almost flawless on this machine.

I just wonder if anyone else has had these sorts of problems particularly with nForce boards. The most troublesome problem is the apparently random freezing, how can I track down the possible causes?

Your description reminds me of how the second release candidate acted. The final has been fine for me, after installing all the updates. What is your video card?

What is your video card?

The video card is built in to the nForce2 chipset, I believe it is a GeForce 4 MX. I also have a Shuttle made AGP card that simply provides a DVI connector. Until now I hadn't considered AGP problems so I will look into that this evening, as I recall once during boot an error with agpgart.o. (whatever that is).

I'll do a fresh reinstall, and keep a detailed log of any problems as I realise my error descriptions are a bit unspecific, though if anyone has more suggestions they'd be welcome!

I too have the SN41G2, and I had problems installing the NIC. Some help from this forum got me online again.

I still haven't gotten the Nvidia graphic drivers up and running, but have printed out about ten pages with tips from this forum.

Other than that I've had no problems. MDK9.2 runs very smoothly on my baby...

In any computer utilizing gui, if there is a gui issue, headaches abound. Fortunately, nvidia supports linux. So be sure and use their drivers.

As a follow up to my original post...

I started again to reinstall 9.2 and immediately ran into freezes during the install. I then went to the BIOS and disabled all the things I don't need such as SPDIF, Parallel port, firewire etc. Also I unplugged a USB Flashcard reader. The install then went very smoothly. At the end I still had to configure X for a DVI flat screen and compile the nvnet drivers for the ethernet port. As an extra precaution I checked the force noapic and left unchecked the acpi options in the lilo config tool of Mandrakes control center. One of the previously mentioned things seems to have worked as I no longer have the random freezes. I've since unchecked the noapic option without any consequences yet.

Next I installed all the relevant updates except for the moment the new kernel. I installed updates to rpm first and that seems to have prevented the lost menu problem.

So far the system is stable :D

I unplugged a USB Flashcard reader.

That's been the only real problem I have with 9.2. I must unplug my USB cardreader in order to boot up Mandy. Otherwise it freezes... no other problems with other USB devices.

I think something was changed in a hot script with this release that is not working here. Either that or the specific module does not want to load. I don't know. Think I will dive into this problem this weekend.