Two Nics on two PCs, how ??

feralertx

Hi everyone!

I´m trying to find a faster way to share files between two MDK systems, they are actually connected via a 10MB hub, which is integrated in an adsl Cisco router, so I can access the net from both.

Problem is it takes forever to share files between them(specially large ones) so I want to install antother nic (100MB) in both and have a direct conexion to one another, and there is were I´m all mixed up.

My actuall setup is 192.168.0.1 for first PC, 192.168.0.2 for the second and 192.168.0.5.

I understand I have to set up the new nics with a different net, say 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, but how do I tell them to use this address for file sharing and the other address for internet access only ?? Any other special set up to do ??

Any comments and ideas welcome.

Thank you for all possible responses.

Edited by feralertx

By The Way, it is 100 Mbps - Megabits per second, not MB - MegaBytes per second. I have a 100Mbps network setup with a switch -- so it is very fast -- and it can still take 20 minutes to transfer several gigs between computers. When you say your network is slow, exactly what do you mean?

I don't know if this is even possible. A much easier approach would be to go and buy a 100Base-T hub instead of trying to create this bizarre network.

First, make sure that the two computers are connected using a cross-over cable instead of a normal straight cable. Otherwise whatever you do will end in failure.

Personally, I would go with one or the other network option instead of trying to use both. Either connect the two computers together and use one computer to share the internet to the other, or buy a faster hub/router and use that to share the internet.

For testing purposes though, setup one network and then setup the other network. You already have the internet sharing network setup, so disconnect that network and setup the second network and get the two computers talking to one another.

Then connect both networks and see what happens.

Edited by fuzzylizard

by sharing you mean without physically transferring the files over correct?

if you just want to transfer files scp works rather well imho and you don't have to worry about interfaces and config files you just have to have ssh setup on each box.

i transfer files between my mac and linux box all the time via scp.

I you plan to run Samba (one pc will be the server) there is an option in the [Global] section of /etc/smb.conf:

interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24 for example

you may have a look at it thought I never tried

My mistake. perhaps it works but I don't think it's the right answer.

Well I think that if you have a NIC connected to the WAN and an other NIC connected to an other PC, it's exately the same as if you have a NIC connected to the WAN and an other NIC connected to a LAN through a hub.

So IMO the best is: let Drake GW do the job:

- remove shorewall, bind to clean everything,

- configure the NIC connected to the other pc with a static IP address like 192.168.1.1, and give it a LAN name like "server.local.network"

- configure the other pc with a dynamic IP address, and give it a LAN name like "pc.local.network",

- install dhcpd on the server,

- check pinging pcs each other,

- now install and test samba to enable file sharing,

- AFTER, run MCC->DrakeGW to set the internet sharing

- test internet sharing,

- Now, file sharing may not work any more because of the firewall: shorewall. I have a solution to fix that but it seems it's not the better one. search on the forum or ask once you are there.

by

roland

P.S: you know you need a crossed wire to directly connect 2 pcs isn't it ?