A few questions (sound, video, cdr, wine...)

Guest Archi

Got a few questions after installing Mandrake 9.

Line-in on SBLive doesn't work. I can hear the sound, but can't record. It's the same with ALSA drivers and OSS. I switched to OSS, because ALSA sounds bad and I don't need MIDI.

Arts builder crashes when running any structure. Haven't used it before, was just trying to record audio. Broken? Then tried Audacity, but dependencies failed. Got wxGTK-2.3.3-1.i386.rpm but it needs libpng.so.2. Got 3 libpng packages that come with Mandrake already installed. Is there a better way to figure out which packages I need for a certain program? Does it make sense to use urpmi with a 56k modem? If yes, which sites should i add? :)

Got video capture to work with Radeon 64 ViVo. It works, no sound from line-in though.

TV out doesn't work. I can switch it on with "atitvout -r auto", but all I get is half of mouse cursor on TV. Anyone got it working on ATI Radeon?

I'd like to get Demise to work with Wine. It's a DirectX/OpenGL game programmed in VB. The problem is that windows, which popup in the game, can't be clicked. I need this game to work, otherwise I'll be booting to Windows every day. Tried Winex and it was worse than Wine. Tried switching certain dlls from 'native' to 'build-in' but it didn't made any difference. I doubt it would run in VMWare. Any Wine masters out there?

CD recording problem. My LG CDR is on 0,3,0 on SCSI bus. Everything basically works, no errors from cdrecord, but nothing is actually written. I get a green blinking light instead of the red one when it's burning.

That's about it for now. Everything else works great. :D

Guest davebsr

Line in doesn't work.

TV out doesn't work.

Wine doesn't run a program you like.

I've done the sound-problem thingy. My sblive drivers work great...try the program, aumix. It's a graphical way to manage sound - make sure line-in is marked red, and try marking "mike" and the others too - that's the sound input marker. make sure the volume's up. Good luck. keep tryin.

If you've got the source to your program...you might be able figure out what was causing your problem. Otherwise not much can be done - wine is finicky and it's amazing that it does do what it does so far. Booting to windows isn't that bad. Try the wine-office thingy you have to pay for?

I have no help for tvout, no experience with them or radeon's. keep asking, someone knows! Google for it, too.

Is there a better way to figure out which packages I need for a certain program?
If you search with http://rpmfind.net/ and go to a pkgs html page, it'll list whatprovides, and whatrequires. Otherwise, take a look at

man urpmf

man urpmi

rpm --help

Does it make sense to use urpmi with a 56k modem? If yes, which sites should i add?
Here's a start;

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributi....0/contrib/RPMS with ./synthesis.hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia PLF ftp://ftp.delonic.biz/pub/plf/9.0 with ./hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia Texstar ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ndrake/9.0/rpms with ./hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia TexContrib ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ake/9.0/contrib with ./hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia cooker ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake-dev...r/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz

Because Texstar and PLF change their contents often, urpmi.update Texstar and, urpmi.update PLF, should be run occasionally.

I don't know about your other probs.

• 3 months later...
Guest shakti

i like to wake this thread up as i seem to have the same problem with my sb-live. line in works but cant record it...mixer settings seem ok.....would like to get it to work to record some md's to ogg....