Triple Booting linux/linux/windows

flak

I Have a machine with Windows 2k and red hat 8 installed. I am currently using Grub as my boot loader (.92 i think) I just got my mandrake 9.2 Cd set with update cd and i am ready to install it.

I have win2k and RH8 on a hard drive set to master, i have a second hard drive that will be set to slave for mandrake.

Now i would like to know how is the best way to go about triple booting this? I would also know the best way to revert back to my red hat win 2k setup incase mandrake isn't all its cracked up to be. I know i can uninstall mdk by just f-disking the second drive but how do i get the boot loader back to just showing 2k and RH?

The idea i have thus far is editing my current grub config: Here is my config right now

# grub.conf generated by anaconda

#

# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file

# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that

# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.

# root (hd0,5)

# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda8

# initrd /initrd-version.img

#boot=/dev/hda

default=1

timeout=10

splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)

root (hd0,5)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/

initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

title Windows 2000 Pro

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

so the question is could i just install mdk 9.2 on the second HD without installing any boot loader then booting to red hat and editiong that file to add MDK, then i could boot to all thee OS's and if i wanted to whipe off mdk it wouldnt be hard to revert my boot loader back to what it is now. Can someone let me know if that would work? And offer any tips to what i would have to add? It kind of reminds me of the boot.ini file of windows but i dont really understand it.

Or is there a way i can install Grub to /boot directory on the primary hard drive using the mandrake installer? Thanks

I think there is a tutorial on this somewhere in the forum. Check the tutorial section.

Anyway, I am not sure exactly how to do this, but what I would do to start would be to not install a bootloader for Mandrake, but make a boot floppy instead. You may need to install Mandrake using the Export setting instead of the default setting. (search around for how to do this)

Then, once you have Mandrake up and running using the boot floppy, you can look at ways of adding it to the grub bootloader you have for RH. Should be as simple as adding a few lines to the config file.

Yea thats what i have discovered is the best course of action. The turtoral was for LiLo not grub. i looked :-/ anyway would this be the correct set of commands to add to the grub enrty?

title Mandrake linux

root (hd1,0)

kernel / kernel path there

initrd /initrd path here

welcome to the board!

You got it!

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,5)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda8
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

title Windows 2000 Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title Mandrake linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel / kernel path there
initrd /initrd path here

If I remember, doesn't the Old Mandrake Docs by Tom explain how to do this? I remember it explain how to do it using lilo, but grub I don't remember. Try http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/iboot2.html for an explaination about booting other distros. Mind you some of the info is a little bit old, but still very helpful and pretty current.

Edited by spiedra