Java in mozilla and firebird

saurya_s

Hi all

I am just not able to do this.

What i am doing, going to usr/lib

Now here I find three mozillas,- mozilla,mozilla 1.4, mozilla firebird.

I understand Mozilla 1.4 and mozilla firebird as two programs. So where is mozilla coming from. As I checked that my version of mozilla is version 1.4-the one which I launch.

Anyway I go to the /usr/lib/mozilla..../plugins.

I make a symlink like this

ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.1_06/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now this is not working?

There is no other plugin in my plugin directory.

Secondly, do I need any configuraton from helper application in mozilla to make java work?

Thanks

SS

you mean not for you....

then it needs to be removed,eh? Funny, seems to work for so many.....that's why its there. Keep in mind that 'version' isn't the only thing to consider. If you're running a mozilla that was compiled with gcc3.2 then you need a java compiled with gcc3.2, which 1.4.2 from sun is. Same goes for moz's compiled for older gcc's. There are recent versions of mozilla compiled with old gcc's because gcc is one of those pkgs that changes everything and some refuse to keep up and like their older stable setups. For now, it's a guessing game. Then when it's not a prob gcc3.4 will be out and we'll be in the same boat. Yuk! :wall::juggle:

the symlink command is

ln -s /usr/java/path/to/'plugin' /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/'plugin'

Isn't there a period "." missing in the end, or just the absolute path to the mozilla plugins directory?

Something like:

ln -s /usr/java/path/to/'plugin' /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/'plugin' .

or:

ln -s /usr/java/path/to/'plugin' /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/'plugin' /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

I guess you could put the link in either /usr/lib/mozilla or /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4. At elast my mozilla 1.3.1 seems to find and use all plugins found in either or both those directories.

[root@ml root]# ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
libflashplayer.so@  libjavaplugin_oji.so@  libmozswfdec.so*  mplayerplug-in.so@
[root@ml root]# file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so: symbolic link to `/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so'
[root@ml root]#

so I would have had to do

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

[root@ml root]# /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01//bin/java -version
java version "1.4.2_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_01-b06, mixed mode)
[root@ml root]#

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...=30entry81894

This is on Mozilla's site now when I went back to download an update to my 1.4 browser.

Linux (x86)

The original Linux builds were built with the wrong compiler and are incompatible with some plugins and extensions. The builds have been replaced as of 01:00 UTC on December 11. To distinguish the builds, look in about:buildconfig, in the "Build tools" section, next to the line starting with "c++". The old, incorrect build will say "gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)". The new, correct build will say "gcc version 3.2.3" (just as it does on the previous line).

Full Installer (12 MB) Download all of the Mozilla components and then specify install options.

Net Installer (80 KB) Download only the components you specify.

tar.gz format (12 MB).