noobi question on kernel

Guest mad_penguin

Guest mad_penguin

what's the difference between mdk kernel 2.4.19 and generic kernel 2.4.19 which you can download from somewhere ? would it be fine if I replace mdk kernel with generic kernel ? My computer with intel 845E/ICH4 chipset is having problem with mdk. (I didn't have the same problem when I installed redhat 8.0.) Installing PCI EIDE card causes kernel panic because mdk kernel can't find my hard drive which is installed on IDE port on board. Without pci card it's fine except for the one error message, "pci:device00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions". Any help on this ?

As far as I know, the differences lie in some of the patches that have been applied to the Mandrake Kernel. As far as I know, you can build your system with the generic kernel and things should work out fine. However, I have never done this, so don't take my word for it. I am not completely familiar with all the patches Mandrake applies to the kernel they ship with their distro.

what's the difference between mdk kernel 2.4.19 and generic kernel 2.4.19 which you can download from somewhere ?
Lots and lots of patches. So much so that it's usually hard to apply a patch yourself, depending on the patch and what related patches have already been applied. Where? http://kernel.org/

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading to be sure of what you're doing, then use this

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=967 (except if you have a lot of resources I'd use make xconfig, it's gui in X, menuconfig is console, but just my preference when it comes to kernel compile)with a stock/vanilla kernel from kernel.org, and see how it does. Worry about patches after you got a feel for HOWTO and then patch yourself out. It's really not that hard, IMO. I think people sometimes just aren't patient enough to do the reading and research for their sys.

• 4 weeks later...

Motherboard MSI 845 Max

Chipset i845E

CPU Pentium 4 à 2.4Ghz

I also get

ICH4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev f9

PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions

ICH4: (ide_setup_pci_device:) Could not enable device.

Because of that i also get very low hard drives results.

Did you find a solution ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have an Intel 845G Chipset and have a similar problem. I did a little research on the Intel website, and found this:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/.../linux/udma.htm

Note that it says:

ICH4 (used by 845G and 845E) requires kernel 2.5.12 or later to enable any DMA mode

2.5 is an unstable release. I read recently that the stable 2.6 version is supposed to be released in June next year (touch wood).

My guess would be that means we have to wait until then before we can use faster transfer modes, although I would prefer to be wrong about this...

_Max_