Wireless router for my PC

Darkelve

I am planning to buy some hardware in order to be able to connect to the internet from my Linux box. I thought a couple of solutions over and came to the conclusion the best thing to do would be to buy another Wireless Router.

The product I was thinking of is a Dlink Dl-624+ 54Mbps Wireless router. will cost about €150, which is not really a problem at the moment.

See http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/129.htm

So: anyone has got any experience with this router/setup, any tips, ... ? It's just that I always want to be informed before making a purchase.

Darkelve

(Maybe for some of you this seems to be overkill, but:

- We have a wireless home netwerk, with an Intel Pro/wireless (2011b) Acces point, connecting to a couple of PCMCIA cards (laptops) and a wireless USB device (my PC, only works under windoze). But I will probably move out of the house one of these years, and then my family will still need the access point. As for myself, possibly I will need a (wireless) router once again.

- Since it should not be a problem getting the router and access point to communicate to each other, all there is left is to plug the router into my PC's ethernet jack, for which the card is detected and works (Realtek 8193).

- Possibly I can use it to play around with some more advanced internet settings. When I screw up on my router, it will not take the whole home network down, as it did sometimes before

)

Edited by Darkelve

okay, I guess what I *really* need to know is if this product (this particular product and products like this in general) can accept dhcp leases from my (intel) wireless access point, not just send them.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

I am planning to buy some hardware in order to be able to connect to the internet from my Linux box. I thought a couple of solutions over and came to the conclusion the best thing to do would be to buy another Wireless Router.

The product I was thinking of is a Dlink Dl-624+ 54Mbps Wireless router. will cost about €150, which is not really a problem at the moment.

See http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/129.htm

So: anyone has got any experience with this router/setup, any tips, ... ? It's just that I always want to be informed before making a purchase.

Darkelve

(Maybe for some of you this seems to be overkill, but:

- We have a wireless home netwerk, with an Intel Pro/wireless (2011b) Acces point, connecting to a couple of PCMCIA cards (laptops) and a wireless USB device (my PC, only works under windoze). But I will probably move out of the house one of these years, and then my family will still need the access point. As for myself, possibly I will need a (wireless) router once again.

- Since it should not be a problem getting the router and access point to communicate to each other, all there is left is to plug the router into my PC's ethernet jack, for which the card is detected and works (Realtek 8193).

- Possibly I can use it to play around with some more advanced internet settings. When I screw up on my router, it will not take the whole home network down, as it did sometimes before

)

I just moved to the LinkSys BEFW11S4 and WUSB11 2.8 wireless USB adapters, and it's now working nicely with Mandrake 9.2. The big thing to remember is make sure there is support for any wireless of the devices you are looking at, or at least some development drivers, so that you can have some input on their development.

Edited by Relic2K

Thanks,

I don't mind proprietary products myself in this case, as long as it works efficiently under Linux.

In the following document,

http://www.dlink.co.uk/binaries/misc_binar...ies/DI-624+.pdf

there are the lines:

"IP Number Self-identification:

Through DHCP client" under the heading 'router'. Does that mean, (I want to know this) that it can accept dhcp requests/leases (whatever they're called)?