Using mail in a bash script

I'm writing a bash script to backup some machines and eventually I want it to become a cron job (but thats a different story).

I basically want to use mail (or something similar) to send a message to my user along the lines that the backup was complete. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thanks,

assuming your machine has access to a working mail server, its all pretty straight forward. i used it once to send simple mail messages. i even experimented doing some attachments via uuencode. and its all command-line. i tried doing a distributed.net send and receive script but i left my previous job before i can fullfill it. i was able to do the send part though. :)

ciao!

I think sendmail is configured on the boxen I want it to be, to the point that I can send a test mail via the command line. I have no idea how to specify what text is actually sent via mail though. For example if I use the command line:

# mail -s Foo root

Bar

Ctrl-D

CC:

#

works, but obviously as part of a shell script

mail -s Foo root

Bar

does not work. Any ideas how I can specify the body of the mail?

Thanks,

you need to specify everything in one line. sorry im not in a linux box (if you see me online now its probably from a windows box as i dont have net at home) but everything is in the manpage.

when i get some free time ill try to do it in cygwin if there is a port.

ciao!