Mandriva 2008 Powerpack with Linux Magazine

manmath sahu

Hi All,

I got Mandriva 2008 Powerpack with March issue of Linux Magazine. I am yet to install it on my home machine. But before that I would like to ask you few questions in this order:

1. Has this version of powerpack fixed some bugs that were reported when mandiva 2008 released, because it is long gap from that date.

2. Does this version has updated kernel and xorg since it's very long duration from the date of mandriva 2008 release to the date when linux magazine distributed it free with the magazine.

Hope somebody will answer these questions.

Waiting for your answer earnestly.

Powerpack is just Mandriva Free with some proprietary software not included on the Free disk. If it's Mandriva 2008.0 then it will be the same as when it was released almost six months ago. It won't have any updates on it.

I can also tell you that (AFAIK) no Linux distro has ever given away an improved (updated) version of the 'same release version' in a magazine or book. With a distro like the Mandriva Powerpack (paid version), this would really be an insult to those who paid the full price.

You are very very right. Thank you all for your answers.

Last night I installed Mandriva 2008 Powerpack on my notebook. I have some weird problems after installation. I am unable to pay video dvds on lindvd. What's worse, I can't browse the video dvds though I have no problem browsing data dvds.

I have also installed libdvdcss still nothing to my avail.

Previously I had none of the problems with mandriva 2008 free. I had a great computing experience after installing some non-free stuffs. But how come such weird things happen with powerpack.

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance.

Not familiar with LinDVD, but try installing say VLC, or Mplayer/Smplayer/win32codecs and then open either vlc or smplayer from console. libdvdcss2 is required, but installing libdvdnav also should be useful.

Do you get any strange message in console when you insert a commercial video DVD?

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks you came to my rescue!

Actually I have already installed libdvdcss2 and libdvdnav. The strange thing is that I can't even browse any video DVDs. But there is no problem in reading/browsing data DVDs. Installed mplayer and vlc both, but still I can't play any commercial DVDs, though all of them played well on Mdv 2008 Free.

While browsing solutions for my problem on official mandriva forum and on this forum I found many having bad experience with lindvd and mdv 2008 ppk. However, all of them have problem with playing the DVDs, but here I can't even browse the video dvds.

Let me cut short the facts:

1. there is no problem in browsing data dvds

2. unable to play or browse video dvds

3. libdvdcss2 and libdvdnav is installed

4. vlc and mplayer are also installed

5. shows no message on konsole while i pop in a video dvd

please suggest a fix for this problem

See if there is a libdvdread package available for you to install. If so, when installed, does it help? I don't know for sure if it's available in Mandy, but check, could be different from one distro to another.

i wonder i can't even browse video dvds whereas i have no problem in browsing data dvds.

i installed libdvdread it's a tiny package installed within a second. but still nothing to my avail.

Hmmm, not sure. The only time I had problems reading Video DVD's was because of libdvdcss or libdvdcss2 not being installed. Check if you have both of these packages for installation, in case maybe you need to install the other as well.

thanks for your answer.

i think it's better to go back to mdv 2008 free. i had no such problem with the free version, but ppk created all the issues -

is not it an irony! many users have problem with playing and browsing dvd with ppk. is it worth its salt. perhaps mdv people hurriedly brought out the ppk, they should have tested it well.

one lesson i learnt ppk is not as good as its seems from a distance.

There really isn't much difference between Free and Powerpack. I've used both myself and never had this problem before. Would be best to compare package listings on both systems to see why the other worked, and the other not. But requires you do this before cleaning system.

Finished installing mdv 2008 free. after installing w32codecs and libdvdcss2 i have no problem in browsing and playing video dvds on kaffeine. even i installed dkms-cdfs from pclinuxos repository so that i could easily copy some of my classic video cds.

However, i am still looking for answers on why mdv ppk could not even mount the video dvds. I think it's the most hurried or improvised work than a polished one.

Lessons to all linux lovers, try mdv free. powerpack is just a disappointment.

I'd have to get hold of a Powerpack and test it, but they both use the same repos, same packages - so a little weird why it didn't work for you.

However, prior to the install, I would have done something like this:

rpm -qa | grep -i dvd | sort > dvd_package_list

to list what dvd packages I had installed, and maybe even:

rpm -qa | grep sort > full_package_list

and taken copies of these files to another machine. Then I would have done the install of Mandriva Free, and then compared the package listings to see what was different. Then it might have helped see why one worked and one didn't.