Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block....

Guest EliteNeophyte

Guest EliteNeophyte

locigal block 337xxx

I get this error from the kernel msg screen after it attempts to load the install program into memory.

I let it run for about 20 minutes and got the following error from the main ("alt+f1 for here") screen:

Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk. This is probably an [sic] hardware error while reading the data. (this may be caused by a hardware failure or a Linux kernel bug)

The system is an old P3 450mhz (EDIT: actually it's a celeron, 411Mhz according to memtest86+ v1.11), 128 ram, 16mb video card, 40x cdrom, brand new seagate 40gig HDD. I'm installing mandrake 10.0 (I've been struggling with HDD failure and troubleshooting since 10.0 was released, sadly enough).

Is anybody familiar with this problem or have any advice? Thanks.

Edited by EliteNeophyte

• 6 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem on three different computers and two different cds 10.1 gives me the error on all 3 computers and 10.2 LE gives me the error on only 1. I agree that it might be the cds for the 10.1 model but on the 10.2 cds (that work on 2/3 computers) do you think it's a hardware problem (I think it is btw) and if it is how can I diagnose exactly what's hanging the installation up. Thanks..

in most cases, this error indicates a bad cd. however it can also be due to acpi problems, so at the boot prompt in expert mode (as told by devries), type

linux noapic nolapic

if it still doesn't boot, try disabling "plug&play os" in the bios (if your board supports this). last option would be (just guessing here) to deactivate "memory hole" in the bios and to add at the boot prompt in expert mode e.g.

linux mem=128M (if you have 128 mbram, otherwise replace the number accordingly)

good luck :)