nforce2 stability problems fixed!

mikeoneil

For those having terrible stability problems with nforce2 motherboards the problem may well have been fixed at last!

From info in the nforce linux forums here it seems that recent BIOS updates as well the latest 2.6.6 kernel finally solve the problems.

15 attempts to install MDK10-OE on a shuttle SN41G2 resulted in random freezes during the install. I finally decided to flash the BIOS with the latest version and attempted another install, this time with APIC *enabled* and no kernel-parameters such as nolapic etc. The install went perfectly, so far everyting works, ethernet, sound, nvidia drivers installed even a USB mass storage device!

If you are having these random freezes you should check if a BIOS update is available from the motherboard manufacturer. You probably will need a MSDOS boot disk which you can get from here if you don't already have one.

(Alternatively, try the 2.6.6 kernel which I haven't yet tried myself.) My system has only been running for an hour or so, but that's already a hour longer than it was working for.

Yesterday I reinstalled ML 10 CE with the option APIC Disabled in my Bios (I have the latest Bios) and inmediately installed kernel 2.6.6-3mdk from Cooker, then I upgraded to OE from the 10.0 OE sources.

After rebooting I enabled APIC and booted into the new kernel and had it up and running till this morning :thumbs:

Finally my box is doing what I want it to (both in ML and in XP). B)

Only thing is I can't find the kernel-source for kernel 2.6.6-3mdk. :wall:

Has anyone found it already, I have to have it to install the drivers for my ATI card :help:

I would think the solution was more in the bios update than the kernel, but you never know ;)

My nForce2 board (Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04) has worked flawlessly in Mandrake 10 CE and now 10 OE, but I've always kept the bios updated. I'm currently running the latesest available kernel from the 10OE update sources, but I've had no trouble with the other kernels I've tried.

I also don't run any boot options such as "noapic" etc... never had to, and my USB devices all work just great.