Too upgrade each time?

ac_dispatcher

I currently have a triple boot system. M$ / Mandrake9.1 / Gentoo. I cant live with MDK. I just cant go without the MCC. but:

Does the downloading of the newest MDK .iso's ever end? To explain: I believe that about every 6months(??) a new stable MDK version comes out. MDK 9.2 is due. I started with 9.0 then downloaded 9.1. Do I have to continue with 9.2.?

One main question is when 9.2 is released the repository sites will update to 9.2. Will they still have 9.1 downloads? Most importantly if a new version of a program is released will it be placed in all repositories? or will updates end for 9.1 a short time after 9.2 is out?

Which brings me to the possibility of switching to Gentoo as my primary booting Distro. From what I believe there is only one repository(ebuild) type (no version specific 9.0/9.1/9.2) Once you install and emerge -u world your done. You will always have the current version. You never really have to download the latest .iso files and start from a new install. Is there a way to operate MDK like this?

My laptop is not for any critical use, so what if I change all my repository to the cooker repositorys? Then urpmi --auto-select. Would I then always have the current version, never to have to download new .iso's?

It sounds exciting to download 9.2 and install it. But I have my system set up just right. I know my /home directory will stay but just spending all the time setting up my system only to do it again in 6 months just does not appeal to me. So is there a way to keep MDK updated without downloading anymore .iso's?

Edited by ac_dispatcher

There's a few people here who still run MDK 8.00 They swear by it, and have no reason to upgrade. If your version is working perfectly, you don't need to upgrade to the latest. Although 9.2 is due out soon, some updates for 9.1 were recently released, so they are made available for a while. Most important is ofcourse the security fixes.

DO NOT INSTALL MDK AND USE COOKER AS THE UPDATE SOURCE.

Many of the cooker files /apps are experimental, unless you know what your doing, you will crash your system.

No cooker ? oops.

Well still works ok - Has not died yet. 2.6 kernel won't boot. Samba stopped for a time. Actually it was fun a so far, and good learning experience.

You should see the error when I - urpmi.update -a or urpmi --auto-select.

Ill have fun messing around. I owe it to MDK to buy the next Distro. 9.2 comes out soon and Ill order it. Do you get into MDK's club's ftp site If you buy the Distro from them? or do you have to buy the distro and pay the club dues?

I guess you could say I've viewed Linux as a "shareware" sort of way.Try before you buy. I have tried about 5 Distro's now and always come back to MDK. It is the best fit for me and worth my money.

No cooker ?  oops.

If you can't get say, your scanner or an app to work no matter what you try, getting a driver or file from cooker may make it work. I sometimes do this, but its risky.

2.6 kernel won't boot. Samba stopped for a time. 

You should see the error when I -  urpmi.update -a or urpmi --auto-select.

:lol: :lol: I can imagine. Did it myself once.

Do you get into MDK's club's ftp site If you buy the Distro from them?
No, you don't. And from a personal point of view, i don't think its worth paying the money for the club for what you get. Especially if you have paid for the Distro.

For instance:

Went to a buddies house to set up a Coyote Linux router. I use DSL for internet. He had a new cable modem. OK I just went into the MCC and reset my network settings. Hit the connect button and Im on the net.

Now if I had to do that in Gentoo...... with my current knowledge it would take about 30min to 1 hour. In MDK it was 3-5 minutes.

I have Gentoo to challege myself to learn how to setup a connection via command line (ifconfig eth0 ....) :idea:

But I need that nice GUI of MCC to fall back on. Or return to MDK because it just works. :wink:

I've been having similar thoughts related to 9.2. I'm not jumping ship for another distro, but I'm perfectly happy with 9.1. I've been running linux for about 5 months now (all with MDK), but don't see any particular reason to upgrade. With M$ I was always excited and rushed out to get upgrades because there was the promise that things would start working again if you got the new OS. Now my computers already work :D

Plus... in order to upgrade, I'd have to reboot, right? :)

The only thing that I have problems with at the moment is my laptop's power management, but that's not even a huge deal.

I almost feel bad. When I first installed 9.1 I was on this board every day, trying to solve a new problem I had caused. Now, a few months later, I still stop by MUB almost every day but rarely post anything because I don't feel competent enough to help people very much and I rarely have problems.

Or, you could use WEBMIN or Linux conf in Gentoo AND Mandrake, not to mention commercial UNIX's like Solaris, AIX, IRIX or BSD or

... well just about anything NOT M$

hint.... the adsl rpm stuff is about 4 scripts.

the config files are VERY SIMPLE

My issue is the word UPGRADE but in Mandrake it means REINSTALL.

Sure the tools are nice so after reinstall your DSL is working pretty quick but ....

OK, I run Debian and mdk. I went Debian for more of a challenge and for apt-get, for apps in general. Upgrading with Deb is a nice perk but had no bearing on me trying Deb. I started with ML8.1, skipped 8.2, went to 9.0 which I downloaded on my 56k dialup 8) , and then to 9.1. I love eye candy, themes etc....and I can install a new version and have everything back to normal inside 2 hours......what's all the fuss about having to reinstall to upgrade? Not just this thread but also the 20 b4 it. It's no big deal fokes. It doesn't take any longer than you spend trying to learn something new in linux or resolving deps, but you take the time to do it, don't ya? As anon said many are quite content on older versions. My 8.1 might just as well have been 9.0 but there was just 2 apps that had just too many deps to worry about getting, so that's the only reason I went 9.0, I didn't need draktools. If you're happy....don't, if your not....do. If content, waiting for kernel-2.6 makes sense. :)

I started on LM6.0 and used that until LM8.1 came out because it did what I needed it to do. The 7.x versions didn't add anything I needed and where unstable on top of it. I only upgraded to Lm8.1 because I wanted the newer SMP performance boost of the 2.4 kernel. I currently use LM8.1 even though I've tried the LM9.x series because I have it working just the way I like it. And I would have to search the web for all the packages that I have from the LM8.1 powerpack that aren't included in the LM9.x series. The one thing that would make me switch to LM9.2 would be to get my Soundblaster AWE32 card to work with ALSA.

Glitz.

I think the question is really if MDK is suitable as an only OS ...

something you rely on....

Believe me I was seriously affected when it failed wrting the partition table in the 9.1 install.

I think its pretty eye candy and great fun to tinker with but if your HW is slightly exotic it can be a bear!

Im lucky enough to be a multi-pc owner so I can copy my data over the NW and REINSTALL but I still have lots of stuff to do .....

I'm not knocking Mandy overall, Im just saying if you want to run only linux and only a single distro mandy is too quirky...

What I'd like to see is Mandy addressing this issue...

90% of everything wrong with it is in the Install/upgrade process.

Its the opposite of Debian/Mac OS-X

The Mac OS-x install is even pretty ... but the point is you only do it ONCE.... EVER.

Mandrake have some very simple things they could do...

They could make the default graphical install noapic and acpi=off

How hard would that be ???

They could TRY and get a working upgrade OR remove the option or put a big fat warning...

Maybe I set my expectations to high BUT ...

I don't see comparisons with Windows as ANY justification.

I expect WAY more from linux....

My biggest inconvenience after an upgrade should be a reboot to load the new kernel... although it would be nice if they could fix that too.

Yes I can copy /etc ... but I just want it to do it for me...

Then....for the graphical minded take me through thedifferences in the config files and ask which version and allow me to add from the old to the new...

Its not rocket science !!!