Sagem F@st 800 PE on Mandriva Free [solved]

Guest Weazil

I am a total noob to Linux.

I have installed mandriva free and am clueless as to how to connect have the system communicate with the above modem.

I have a win XP Pro machine with Mandriva free installed. The modem is a USB adsl modem and is connected directly to the PC.

I have downloaded the sagem drivers for Linux but am stuck as to what to do with them.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks - David

Solution number one:

You need to compile the driver yourself (it's rather easy, and there are detailed instructions on the net):

http://faq.eagle-usb.org

Solution number two:

Buy an ethernet router (there are several good ones for $60 or slightly less) which will work right out of the box.

The second one is preferrable, of course - the Sagem is a troublesome modem: I know that because OTE, the Telecoms state monopoly in my country (Greece) has forced this piece of plastic down to many throats, and quite a few people had some serious trouble with it- even under windoze.

Guest benerivo

You need to download this file from somewhere on the net...

ueagle-data-1.1.tar.gz

try here...

http://eagle-usb.org/ueagle-atm/non-free/

Ideally if you have a usb flash drive or mp3 player you can save it to there to get it on your linux system, though if you have windows installed on the same pc then you should be able to get it through /mnt/windows in the filesystem.

Extract / Unpack this file to your linux desktop. Make new a folder inside /lib/firmware called ueagle-atm and then copy the contents of the unpacked folder on your desktop in to this ueagle-atm folder. Now go to to 'Configure Your Computer' and add a new connection. Choose DSL and then select the USB device as the new modem. It should hopefully be straightforward.