Updating Mandriva 2007

Guest Larry

When I try to update the product with the updater I get errors saying," service configuration problem. Please check log and send email to support@mandrivaonline.com. Is this a problem with Mandriva 2007? or is it a problem on their server end? I would like to know as I will in stall Ubuntu is this is not fixed soon.

Thank you.

It is likely a problem with your update source configuration. If you go into Mandrica Control Center you should be able to access the Repository configuration settings (I do not know the exacty name of this option, but it is under the same section as the update tool) - in there check the exact path to your update source (should be a web address, i.e. http://somethingsomething or ftp://somethingsomething). Once you have that plug it into a browser and see what you get back - if you get an error then there is something wrong with the page, if you get a listing of files you'll want to ensure that it's a list of updated packages. Or you could just post it here and we could tell you :)

I went to the Mandriva Control and found nothing like an update manager. However, when I tried to upload my configuration to the server it worked. But when when it checks for updates it says there is an error in the update configuration. Help.

I think the updater for 2007 could have been better.

When the updater is run from the Control Center, if there are no updates, it apparently doesn't download the hdlist.cz file, it then displays an "error" that the file could not be downloaded and to check configuration settings. I believe the updater compares the hdlist.cz that was last downloaded and if the same file is on the update server, it isn't downloaded.

Instead of displaying the "error" mentioned above, it should simply display that there are no new updates available.

I manually created my urpmi sources for main/contrib/updates, etc by going through my usual mirrors to find the path, and then just added them manually with urpmi and not using the easyurpmi stuff as it's not updated yet.

That's what I tried to do yesterday too. Except all the ones I tried (in UK, France and Switzerland) were either broken or missing.

For example, http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free was broken, but I got a list of mirrors from http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/otherdownloads/2005iso (now also broken), and followed links for a selection of mirrors. For example, one that I used last week in Switzerland is switch.ch, but if you now look for the synthesis file you just get an empty directory: ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/mandrake/of...ase/media_info/

I also tried anorien in Warwick and got as far as this: ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...a/main/release/

And I tried one in France (free.fr I think) with the same result. A couple more dead ends and then I gave up.

I was using anorien for rsync'ing my private mirror for main/contrib/updates and then it all went missing half way through. However, they seem to have all the stuff again now.

Visit http://easyurpmi.zarb.org they have the 2007 Official working now, but only for main/contrib/updates - no plf stuff. Oh, and the mirror lists have shrank a lot! I'm surprised, wonder why they shrank?!? :o

Nobody wanting Mandriva anymore?!?