can't install dual boot xp and MDK 9.2 (NEWBIE!!)

myabko

i've been trying for weeks to install mandrake....first atttempt same error, had to reinstall windows....i gave it a break for a while but now i wanna try it again...i partitioned my hd using partition magic and created a partition for it's dualbooting software, Bootmagic...when i reboot my comp with mandrake in it goes through the install process untill about halfway through the loading program into memory, where my hd stops spinning and the installation stops... :wall:

if anyone could help it would be great

Should i not use partition magic or bootmagic...... Please help, i wanna give linux a try...

You should get rid of boot magic since it is more of a problem than a solution. Even so, it is unlikely to be the cause of the current problems. There are several questions that precede the point you are at now.

1) Did you turn off plug and play (and possibly apm and anti-virus) in the bios?

2) Did you run scandisk and defrag on your install drive?

3) Did you run md5sums on the downloaded iso's before burning them?

4) Did you burn image at the slowest possible speed?

Post back with the answers to these questions and we work from there.

Counterspy

most will say "don't use bootmagic/grub" and wouldn't either, now, but I did for about the first 10 months I dualbooted mandrake/win98 and never had a prob.

What are your specs? Sounds like an ide/cdrom prob. Have you tried a text install? To turn kernel parameters on and off boot with cd1, press F1 at the first splashscreen then type <parameter> and hit Enter.

some to try are;

ide=nodma

noapic

acpi=off

vga=normal

text

many others or any combonation.

text vga=normal acpi=off noapic ide=nodma

thank you all for your replies....as to answer your questions counterspy....i didn't even think burning the image was going to be a problem so i burnt it highspeed and didn't check the images...i don't beleive my bios has a pnp option (i've checked for it many a time) and i have run scandisk and i have a program that constantly defrags my system so i don't believe that would be a problem

i'm currently running on a custom built ecs laptop took these specs off of their website, i can get into more detail if necessary:

CPU

* Intel Pentium 4 or P4 Celeron CPU up to 3.06GHz without HT function.

Audio

* AC97 2.1compliant, , 5.1 channel support, built-in two stereo speakers

BIOS

* Phoenix

* Support PnP, password

Communication

* 10/100 Base-T LAN on board

* Optional Mini PCI solution: Fax/modem V.90/V.92+802.11b WLAN (Combo) or Fax/modem V.90/V.92

* Built-in 802.11b wireless LAN antenna

Core Logic

* SiS 645DX + SiS962, support Hyper Threading (HT) function

HDD

* 2.5" 9.5mm height, ATA 100/66 supported, up to 5400 rpm

Memory

* 2 x SODIMM slots, expandable up to 1GB on one slot

* Support DDR SDRAM module

Optical Drive

* 5.25"/12.7mm QSI Cdrw/dvd-rom drive sbw-242

PCMCIA

* Type II PCMCIA slot, support CardBus

Power Management

* ACPI 2.0 supported

Video & Graphic

* ATI Mobility M9P, AGP 4X

* 64MB DDR Video RAM

1024M of RAM, 2.8 GHz proc etc...

oh, btw i have tried to install mandrake 9.1 off of a friends cds...it worked fine for her (not dual boot though) but it won't start for me...different error all together

i'm getting ready to give up (which is such a shame, i love trying new things on computers) any advice at all would be appreciated

Your computer does support PnP or plug and pray so their should be a section or entry in the bios that lets you turn it off/on. It tends to screw with i/o settings if you don't.

The first thing you should try is passing the command for over one gig of memory to the kernel. Don't remember which command that is and I know I should. :wall: 9.1 has difficaulty with this but it looks like 9.2 doesn't.

Make sure everything exturnal to the computer is unplugged untill you get a running system. Just makes things easier.

You might have trouble with the wire less but it shouldn't stop you from installing. The same with the winmodem.

Ethernet cards are far better supported in linux so use that if you can.

The vidio should be fine to install.