Gentoo: etc-update

I've given Gentoo a second chance and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I need some help with etc-update, however.

Everytime I merge anything I get notified that there are however many files that need updating in /etc and... somewhere else.

So why don't I run etc-update, you ask? Because it doesn't seem to work! The last time I ran it, it would notify me of a file that needed updating and prompted me for action, but the only option it would accept was to overwrite the file!

The option to combine the files wouldn't work, nor would just leaving the file alone.

How do you all handle this problem? I've decided to leave all my files alone and worry about them if I get errors... but that probably isn't the best idea...

etc-update works fine for me ... I etc-update and update files I don't care about about, and don't update files I've written myself.

The new files are all called .something so you could do it manually if you wanted

something like this (I'm just guessing here)

find /etc -iname ".*" --print

that would find all the files in /etc named .something ... unfortunately it would also find the files called . and .. so maybe a bash expert might be better suited to doing this ;)

YEah, what :paul: said. On my gentoo box(s), I'm VERY careful of what I "allow" it to update. You can mess up a lot of important config files if your not careful. Most of the time, I will run the "find" command :paul: was talking about and compare the .cfgxxx<something or another> with the file it wants to replace. Doing it by hand can be slow, but it is safer (I leanred that about a year ago) I thrashed 3 systems in one day about a year ago, because I took "etc-update" for granted. :wall::oops:

Consider that your etc-update warning! :devil:

Have fun!! :thumbs: