Running Windows Adventure game with Wine

Darkelve

Hi,

I am trying to run a windows adventure game consisting of 1 Exe file, a few data files (for music, graphics and save games) and 1 registry file ("game.reg").

When I try to start it with Wine, it always says 'incorrect registry information, please reinstall'. When installing it in Windows, I got the same error message, solution was to double-click the .reg-file - to load in into the registry I suppose.

So how can I tell Wine to use this .reg-file ?

Darkelve

I believe what you have there is a file that comes with the game and identifies that it is a 'registered' product. It's not Wine or Windows that's telling you the game.reg file is incorrect, it's the game. There is no reason at all why you would want or need to access the Windows Registry unless you like to fiddle, and you certainly wouldn't have to manually enter data into it either. So therefore what you need to do is find out why the game registration details are incorrect.

Edited by simcon

Wowowoooo... I found some info, but it all looks so confusing... I'll just keep booting Windoze whenever to play games (curiously, my XP box has now been degraded to a websurfing and Games-only box... probably will be Games-only soon; and then who cares if anything goes wrong with Windoze :P ).

Seems like this is one thing Wine people are working on:

http://www.winehq.com/site/todo_lists

Wine 1.0 is going to be so awesome!

Darkelve

simcon: in windows files with the extension .reg are files that can be merged into the registry. This program obviously needs these registry keys, how do we merge it in?

Darkeleve: try googling 'merging registry wine linux'

Ah I see, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know you could do that. As far as I'm aware, the installer sets up the registry on installation of the game. I see now what you are doing. Am I right in saying you have copied an installed game along with it's registry settings? Otherwise the game's installer would do it all for you.

I did move it, yes. Doesn't really matter now; I was just playing around with Wine/Crossover to see what I could get to run, and I thought this would be a good thing to know since I read windows often uses the registry.

Sounds much to complicated for me though... the actual times I will play it (it's an adventure game after all, without a lot of replay value), I won't mind booting into Windows.

I think I'll just leave it to that... for now ;)