mail program and settings??

Peppercorn

Hi

I have just got a dhcp server going which is the gateway to the internet. Now I may sound pretty stupid with this next question, but it is late at night here, and newbieness is starting to manifest!

When I go to check my email through evolution on one of the networked computers, it says that it can't fetch it.

The server is using squid proxy and shorewall firewall. I know that shorewall is set up OK as I've been there done that. But I know little about squid.

Do I have to now set up a mail daemon on the server to fetch the mail from my provider and then send it to each computer on the network depending on the email address???

If that is so, what program should I be looking at??

And urpmi can't make contact either! Do I have to make some ports open or something, and if so which ones??

This is confusing, frustrating but a lot of fun at the same time.

Thanks for any help!!

Have you opened the ports on the firewall for the clients to get through to their mail?

What you would need to do, is have fetchmail running as a daemon, regularly checking mail. You can make Fetchmail pass the mail to Procmail, which filters the mail, you could even throw in spam assassin here too and Procmail filters it and sends it to it final destination.

Its not as complex as it sounds, so dont worry :)

TO setup fetchmail just install fetchmail and fetchmailconf. You need to make this start upon startup and run as a daemon (as root).

THen you create a /root/.forward file containing:

"|/usr/bin/procmail"

SO now you install procmail, there is a good tutorial to procmail recipies on this site: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

Follow that to setup procmail

Are you capable of mounting the drives of the client computers? If so then you just get procmail to put the messages in their unix mbox.

Here's an example of a procmail recipe to do this

:0:

* ^To_joesmith@joesworld.com

/mnt/compy1/var/mail/joe

Assuming that compy1, joes computer is mounted at /mnt/compy, it will be put in his user mbox. Evolution, Mutt and Most Email programs for linux care capable of reading unix mboxes.

Thats a quick run through of one thing, if you cant open the firewall ports.It seems complex, but its easy.

iphitus

Thanks for the advice. I will work on the mail setup later today and see how I go. Can you tell me how I go about setting up fetchmail and procmail from within webmin??????????????

It seems straight forward but it still isn't working.

Thanks guys. This is certainly a better site than the official one when it comes to getting answers to questions!!

Thanks Peppercorn

Edited by Peppercorn