Configuring CD-RW in Debian Sid

Guest Reader

This query is directed to DOLson in particular, because I understand he is somewhat of a Debian aficionado. However, any information forthcoming would be useful to others, I'm sure.

With Mandrake 9.1, scsi emulation for my cd-rw worked automatically. With Debian, I can't get it to work at all, or even show up. I have followed the procedures in Debian documentation under cdrecord, the LDP documentation for cdroms and cd-writers and several other (basically identical ) procedures found on www and various Linux-related newsgroups. I've even tried IRC, but I fear the hectic pace there is not suited for this type of problem.

Nothing has worked. By the way I am running Debian unstable with the 2.4.18bf24 kernel and absolutely everything else works perfectly. Both my cdrom and cd-rw are IDE/ATAPI and DMA is enabled for both. Incidentally, my cdrom drive is not even being activated in Debian. Based on what I can see from the bootlog, no driver is being loaded for it. I only have access to my cd-rw. Unfortunately, it is being treated as a plain cdrom, which is the meat of my problem.

I have made many observatory notes while fooling with this, as well as logs and files, but I won't submit any of that unless asked.

Here is my wish list:

1. Spell it out for me

2. Point me to some good help.

3. Be nice :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

This may save someone some aggravation. the SCSI generic driver and the SCSI emulation driver must be selected as modules during the Debian Woody installation. When you exit the module configuration dialog, you will be presented with a screen where you are given the opportunity to pass options to the boot loader. Make an entry for each IDE cd device for which you wish to enable SCSI emulation, e.g.: hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi. If you try to do it later by editing /etc/lilo.conf, it will not work if the above-mentioned SCSI drivers were compiled as modules.

There may be another way to do this, but I found this one on my own.

Dolson, I wish you could tell me exactly what you're talking about, because I followed two different (basically identical) howto's that involved putting the modules in /etc/modules, editing modules.conf and running 'update_modules and so forth. They are on a long list of things that didn't work for me.

By the way, I did my first (successful) kernel upgrade--to 2.4.22 because I wanted to be sensible. I had trouble with nvidia drivers until i broke down and read the readme on the nvidia website. 'add-this-kernel ' option folks. I used 'make oldconfig', but along with the video driver issue my cable modem also didn't work! I had no video on the old bf2.4 kernel, presumably because I had changed drivers, and I didn't want to use Lynx, so I booted into xp to browse for help. When I booted back into my new kernel, my modem was working! What's up with that?

Anyway, I'm a 45-year-old retiree (that's right, and yes, I adore my wife) from the Navy with a great deal of time on my hands and no computer background whatsoever. However I am an obsessive-com-

pulsive puzzle freak and find Linux to be right up my alley. After about three months, Mandrake wasn't fighting back hard enough, so I decided to try Debian. Upon casual ignorant scrutiny, Debian seems to be a hard drinker and a hell-raiser. I say bring it on. I may even become a productive citizen again.

• 2 weeks later...

if the scsi emulation is compiled as modules, you said it won't work, but it will. you just need to put the module names into /etc/modules, one per line, and that's it:

scsi_mod

ide-scsi

This applies to any modules that you want to use at bootup... Good ones are:

usb-uhci

usb-storage

hid

input

8139too

printer

(this is what I use, since I use a USB mouse, an ethernet card that is based on the 8139 chipset, and I have a printer)

After some additional reading and fiddling around, I have a better bit better handle on modules. My initial

failure was probably due to some conflicts in my config due to DND (Debian Newbie Disorientation)

which is still in full effect by the way, but improving.

The usb-storage module ? Could this possibly solve my portable mp3 player problems?

The scsi_mod module? I don't have it, although scsi-emulation works fine now, except for one thing:

when I try to copy CD to CD, I get an error that the cdrdao driver cannot be found, no matter which one

I enable in k3b. Could scsi-mod have something to do with that?

I will experiment with modules using the 'modconf' command. I will also see if I can find a way to copy

CD-to-CD from the command line. Good or bad, I'll post the results.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 months later...
This may save someone some aggravation. the SCSI generic driver and the SCSI emulation driver must be selected as modules during the Debian Woody installation.

When I installed Debian with the "sarge netinstall" disk, (kernel-2.4.25-1-386) there was no place to select these SCSI drivers as modules. (Or ANY drivers as modules... that step wasn't there).

So I guess I don't have SCSI emulation for my CDRW drive.

xcdroast tells me this, and suggests installing SCSI emulation, but really doesn't tell how.

Also, dvd::rip will not burn a CD due to being unable to open SCSI.

The good news is, k3b-0.11.7, installed from source, burns audio and data CDs just fine.

So I am confused, cuz I always had SCSI emulation in Mandrake, and SuSE, but not in Debian, so do I need it? If yes, is there an easy to follow tutorial on how to get it done?

Thanks, all.

After some additional reading and fiddling around, I have a better bit better handle on modules.  My initial

failure was probably due to some conflicts in my config due to DND (Debian Newbie Disorientation)

which is still in full effect by the way, but improving.

The usb-storage module ?  Could this possibly solve my portable mp3 player problems?

The scsi_mod module?  I don't have it, although scsi-emulation works fine now, except for one thing:

when I try to copy CD to CD, I get an error that the cdrdao driver cannot be found, no matter which one

I enable in k3b.  Could scsi-mod have something to do with that?

I will experiment with modules using the 'modconf' command.  I will also see if I can find a way to copy

CD-to-CD from the command line.  Good or bad, I'll post the results.

Thanks for the input.

LOL.

I keep getting a recurring DND.

Its like moving to a country where you only speak half the language. :D

I', just guessing here but doesn't this go in a file NOT /etc/modules.conf (but another) then you run update-modules ?