Mepis

The installation was intriguing. It starts off as a live cd. BY clicking an icon on the desktop, the installation procedure begins, placing the distro exactly where I wanted to place it. (Over the top of Fedora) There were only 2 choices offered for file system, ext3 or reiser. No real problem with that. I could have played a game while installing the distro!! :lol: Pretty cool.

Now the fun. I multi-boot with lilo. I forgot to alter my fstab prior to the install. So I could not boot past the file system checks!! The Mandrake rescue cd would mount my partitions under /mnt, but I couldn't figure out which editor was running!! Yikes!! Well, I went back to the MEPIS live cd, and found out that I could mount any partition and work in it, including the newly installed MEPIS partitions. I fixed fstab, loaded the kernel to /boot, and edited lilo. (The edit would not work until I could boot into Mandrake, of course) So, the rescue cd for MEPIS is a fully operating desktop. Pretty cool. I think Mandrake needs to look at this. I would tell them, except that I already know it is a complete waist of my time to attempt any communication with Mandrake! :cry:

I like MEPIS so far, but I haven't played yet. Oh, it loaded the nvidia drivers as default. Pretty cool.