LG CD-ROM

raysr

Just found out I have a LG CD-ROM that doesn't have a patch to use Mandrake. Can I use a different CD-ROM , install Mandrake and switch back? The other one I have has a different shape to it. Are all the ribbon connectors pretty much the same? Also, If I try and burn a CD with Mandrake assuming I get it installed and switch back to LG will it still be damaged? raysr

The download iso's that I got were the same files that were released previously to the clubers. The "fix" really came from LG because they had some units mis-programed. They issued a flash for those units to correct their error. At any rate, not all LG units were affected by their bungle! And the Mandrake iso's are the same ones. I thought that they would at least include the fixes as well, but no such planning! An install from the public release still required an immediate 300MB of updates!

If you have one of the affected LG drives and a firmware update is not available, do NOT switch to that drive until you have upgraded your kernel (including all related apps such has kernel boot) to the newest kernel available (2.4.22-21mdk). Another alternetive would presumably be recompiling your kernel with all CD packet writing frills disabled. Read the Mandrake errata page to find out what needs to be disabled.

Sincerely