Guarddog help...

Guest DaveJ

Hi,

I have been playing around with various firewalls the past couple of weeks and am using Guarddog at the moment.

I have hit a bit of a snag when I was playing around with NTPD and it appears that even though I select the ntp on port 123 I get this back which I extracted from my messages log:-

(I have blanked part of my IP as it is static and, well, you never know who's reading this.... :roll: )

Nov 10 04:02:11 www kernel: DROPPED IN= OUT=ppp0 SRC=xxx.yyy.116.66 DST=224.0.1.1 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 DF OPT (94040000) PROTO=2

The problem is what the heck is a PROTO=2..? Is this protocol number 2 from the /etc/protocols files - IGMP. If so then why would they do this?

Incidently, the NTP server in question is supposed to be an open public server.

As far as I can see, there would be no way to implement this with the currect version of Guarddog.

Prior to Guarddog, I was having problems with shorewall and decided to do away with it but had to uninstall iptables as well (Read this in some posts to this board). I reinstalled iptables from fresh and discovered that to enable connection sharing again, it reinstalled shorewall... doh!! Is this confusing the hell out of my server, because there are some rules and policies etc that were setup on installation.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

P.S. - I am not a wiz at iptables

Dave

Me again.... Just forgot to say that I am running Mandrake 9.0 in case you wondered so the kernel is 2.4.something

It's running as a server/gateway for the adsl link for my small home lan.

Dave