9.2 won't boot

jhoon

After intalling 9.2 on a previous windows installed hard disk, I got this error message after rebooting "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter".

When using fdisk on the cd1 recue mode to check on my hard disk, "fdisk /dev/hda -u -l" I got:

"(Device)/dev/hda1 (Boot)* (Id)83 (System)Linux

(Device)/dev/hda2(Boot) (Id)5 (System)Extended

(Device)/dev/hda5 (Boot) (Id)82 (System)Linux swap

(Device)/dev/hda1 (Boot) (Id)83 (System)Linux"

No problem during installation, apparently all linux file still on harddisk, not I simply can not boot. I have reinstall a couple of time but still refuse to boot, what should I do?

Re-install a boot loader on the mbr. Was the previous installation on an ntfs partition? You may need to restore the mbr and then install a boot loader in order to correct. Just guesses.

It sounds like the boot loader was not installed or not installed to the mbr. You could try booting off the install cd-1, hitting F1 and then type "rescue" at the prompt. That will bring up a menu with one option to reinstall the boot loader. However, if you selected an option to install the boot loader to someplace other than the mbr during your installation it will just rewrite it to the same place which won't work.

Another thing you can try is reinstalling but choose the "upgrade" option. Don't select any new packages for installation and you'll eventually get to the boot loader install screen. Make sure your boot loader is being installed to the mbr and check the boot loader configuration at the end screen to verify this is the case. Lilo is the default boot loader and you can check your lilo.conf file at that final screen. At the beginning of lilo.conf there should be a line that reads "boot=/dev/hda". If it says "boot=/dev/hda1" or anything else, it's wrong and won't work; edit it to /dev/hda.

If it still doesn't work, do another "upgrade" install and select grub instead of lilo for your boot loader and see if it works.