First Boot after Install of Mandrake 9.2

tomhood

I purchased the Mandrake 9.2 Power Pack and am having an unusual problem. The install goes fine, but when the machine does the boot, it always hangs at the following line: "Finding module dependencies:" Then after about 30 seconds, the following appears on the screen: "Finding module dependencies: modprobe: modprobe: insmod pwc failed"

I have tried reinstalling 6 times, using different partitions and software selections, and no matter what I do, I keep getting the same error. I have been using Linux for several years, but not really digging down to get expertise in it. As Linux is booting, there is a spot where it says to "enter "I" to enter interactive setup" but I have been unable to get that to do anything. I'm sure this is probably a simple thing I'm missing.

If someone can help me finally see the desktop and features of this exciting OS, I would be deeply appreciative :help::wall:

This is a common problem with the pwc module.

Do you have the original -10mdk kernel, if so update to -22mdk kernel.

Do you have a webcam, as is is connected when you boot up? If so disconnect it and boot up.

I think pwc stands for Philips Web Cam. It's used for other brands of cams and I think for some tv tuner cards as well, etc.....

Find the dev that uses the pwc module and remove it to boot up, then update the kernel, then re-connect the pwc dev and you should be fine.