"Shut down" brings me back to log in screen

Guest siko9

Hi,

sorry if this has been answered before, but did like 15 searches and found nothing :(

I am using MDK 9.1 and Gnome (no other wm installed) Download Edition, updated with latest packages from the ftp server.

When I go to Gnome's panel, select "Log out" and the choose "shut down" or "reboot" on the dialog box that asks "Are you sure you whant to log out?", the system does not shut down or reboots, instead, it brings me back to the Log-in screen where I have to click "system" > "shut down/reboot" for a second time.

The oddest thing is that it happens 90 % of the times, but there are a few occasions where the system goes as expected and shuts down in the first attempt.

When talking about Windows 9x I always said "What can you ask from an OS wich doesn even close itself properly?"... so please tell me there is a fix for this.

PS: same thing happens in a second box with vanilla mdk 9.1 and KDE.

Thanks in advance. siko.

Edited by siko9

Could it be that you don't have the permission as a normal user to log off?

I don't know the command that gnome uses to shut down ... but I suppose it is either

shutdown, poweroff, ... :) (I think if you take one of these 2 and follow the symlinks you'll find the real command ...). In a terminal you can ask for additional info with the l-flag:

ls -l /usr/bin | grep poweroff

a symlink is presented by -> ..wich says to where the link points ....

Maybe there is an easy option to do this ... but I can't shutdown from my desktiop either, but that is becayse I set the securitylevel to 4 .... (I found als out that only from level 4 the X-server doesn't listens to X-connections..but you can set this also in a custom-way.)

I think level 4-security is not so bad..maybe minimal good security ...

Sorry I couldn't give more specific info ..

In the Mandrake Controle center there is a setting under security that says allow_reboot...maybe this helps...

What could also help ..(but not the clean way I suppose) is installing the kdm loginmanager...Think it is called mdkkdm, but am NOT sure..so read the description of the package first pls if you want to be sure. This installs another loginmanager . If it also changes gnome-settings is another thing...so somebody else may comment on that.

Edited by Michel

>>> Sorry I couldn't give more specific info ..

Hey, you even pointed me in the right direction :)

I found a quick solution:

I went to the security tab in MCC and found that permisions for "shutdown" were 644 (as it should be) so I guessed that that would prevent "lower" users to access it directly. Then I edited "sudoers" and allowed the group "users" to sudo shutdown and reboot.

That solves my problem.

BUT...

I swear I have been able to shutdown before ( as I wrote in my origianl post) so maybe there is some bug that lets you shutdown even if you are not supposed to. I will look at it a bit more.

As for the command Gnome uses to shutdown, I typed a " ls -l /usr/bin | grep poweroff "

and it seems that the symlink points to "consolehelper". It's the first time I hear about it, and maybe it has something to do with my suspected bug.

Of course, could it all be a "feature" :P

• 2 weeks later...

errr..... all by itself, after a couple of days working as expected, I having again the same problem :wall: ... I did not installed, removed, or reconfigured anything.

The machine starts with runlevel 5 (GUI) without autologin.

Any clues?

>> Try running it with auto login. Just like the guy said unless you auto login you'll only be kicked down to run level 3.

I enbled autologin and now it almost seems to work, it did fail once tho.

Now, I really don't see why I should enable autologin for Shutdown to work, they are two very different things, maybe that's the way it is, but that still doesn't make to much sense to me.

And actually, since using the shutdown command in a console does shut the system down, I have the feeling that there is a bug in that "consolehelper" command that Gnome is symlinking from "poweroff". That plus the fact that sometimes it worked whithout autologin being enabled.

the reason you lost permission again is because mandrake probably automatically reset the security permissions to match your security level. It does this as it expects you wouldn't want users to have that permission at the security level you choose.

try just opening a terminal and doing: msec 3

that should solve the problem. it's a slightly lower security level, but it's still a good choice.