Dell C840 & docking station

Mr. Happy

I've searched the internet, this forum (and others), but I can't seem to find an answer to the following questions. Hopefully you can help me out.

The installation of Mandrake 9.2 on my laptop goes without any problems, but when the installation is finished and the laptop reboots my keyboard doesn't seem to work. This can be helped by restarting the X-server.

Can this be done in another way??

When I install MDK on my docked laptop and I remove the laptop from the docking station certain things are removed from the installation (which is logical), but MDK doesn't work properly.

Are there drivers for the docking station (or perhaps there is an other solution)??

Thanks at forehand,

Mr. (not so) Happy (at the moment)

Deffinately call Dell, they are often very good about this stuff and the worst that could happen is that they chuckle and say, "yeah, you might try putting the software it cam with back." Also, they might actualy be helpfull.

I'd like some more info too.

1. Which keyboard are you having trouble with? THe built in one or the ps2 board that you would logicaly have sitting in front of the docking station.

2. Are you removing it from/inserting it to the docking station with the laptop turned on or turned off? This may make a difference.

3. Have you checked http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html ? THere's four postings about your laptop, maybe one of them will let a nugget of knowlege slip out.

Here somebody got it working with redhat ----> http://www.mit.edu/~matthew1/c840/c840_setup.html

Here someone elese got it working with gentoo---------> http://www.briandowney.net/linux/laptops/c840.php

THe redhat one is also for a dual boot, but you can just ignore that part of the instructions.

It's not a matter of searching, it's knowing where to search. If you read all that and have more wuestions, I'm sure there's people here that can help with specific questions.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by VeeDubb

Thanx for the response, I'm going to read it during the weekend and try it out.

I've got problem with the 'built-in' keyboard and touchpad, when the laptop is undocked they don't work...

Other problem I've got is that I need to restart the X-Server (this is an option in the login-menu) before the keyboard works.

I use the laptop one more than one location, so the (un)docking is done with the laptop turned off.

I've searched the Dell-site before I posted, the only thing I could find were a few drivers.... That was not exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately...

I'll post the results when I've tried them.

Untill then I thank you!!!1