Install with NFS how to set up the server source?

Guest jason

I installed MDK 9.0 via NFS across my LAN, however the install routine only recognizes the first disk of three (I copied the first CD to a directory and then grabbed the rpms from the other two disks and put them in the fiirst disks RPMS directory). When the install gets to the point where it would ask for the next disk it throws an error saying it can't load some package and then asks if I want to continue anyway. If I choose no the install moves forward to the next item on the list and I wind up with only a partially (though functional) system.

My question is, how do the server directories need to be set up in order for the install to run all the way through?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Jason

The thing is, that the rpm's are NOT enough. You'd have to add the "/base"-dir of the distro, where he finds the files "hdlist.cz, synthesis.hdlist.cz", because they are responsible for indexing the rpm's under Mandrake.

1. One way is to copy all three iso's in the same directory. Mandrake can handle them all for install, you just have to give him the first.

2. The other is to copy the /Mandrake/base directory, too, there are the xxlist.cz files. But i am not sure, if he doesn't needs the rest of the CD, i think he will need it.

Be aware, that on the second or third CD are additional pathes, i didn't look in them. Perhaps theese are important, too.

3. Force him to make new xxlist-files, with urpmi.addmedia.

------------------------------------------------------

EASIEST WAY:

Copy ALL CD's, or ALL iso's in one path.

So to sum it up, does it make more sense to copy the contents of disk 2 and 3 as they are? IE: under the Mandrake dir put RPMS2 and RPMS3? After looking at the hdlist file that appears to be the way it is set up. I'll try that out and see how it works. Thanks for the reply.

I put the RPMs from the other two disks into /Mandrake/RPMS2 and /Mandrake/RPMS3 respectively and then did the install from there. Everything loaded just fine. Hope this helps someone out there.......

• 6 months later...
Guest jmaloy

Jason can you tell me how you got Mandrake to load over a LAN. I have Mandrake on this computer but I need to get it on my Laptop but the Cd-rom is busted. I have a wireless card that I can Access the LAN with but I dont know how to setup this computer and the laptop. I have been working on this for days and If you could help, that would be great.

You can do it by making a bootfloppy with the /images/network.img (dd if=/images/network.img of=/dev/fd0).

After that, you can either select a worldwide Mirror in the install menu or you can take a local mirror.

Supported ist FTP, NFS and HTTP.

Ask further if there's a problem..