Port Scan

WilliamS

Just did a port scan at dslreports.com, and got this:

Your IP Address

Conclusion: Possible Problem! We did get information from scanning your ports, this information could encourage attackers to probe further. Do you know why you are advertising these services to the net? perhaps installation of a firewall, or reconfiguration of your firewall to be more secure, would provide peace of mind.

other TCP

CLOSED We received a response that this port was closed.

TCP 111

is OPEN Check our ports page for more info on TCP:111

We have no specific hints for this port number just yet. We are monitoring results though, and we add advice for port numbers that come up frequently.

TCP 515

is OPEN Check our ports page for more info on TCP:515

We have no specific hints for this port number just yet. We are monitoring results though, and we add advice for port numbers that come up frequently.

TCP 6000

is OPEN Check our ports page for more info on TCP:6000

ALL UDP

FILTERED No response (open or closed) to an open request was received.

Is this something to be concerned about?

And if so, any suggestions?

unless your running a server, all your ports should be "closed". arno's firewall is a good script that will easily acomplish that. if you dont like scripts, there guarddog, and many other front end (gui) firewalls. kde has one out now. investing in a router might not be a bad idea, since routers can be used as hardware firewalls, and are easily configured. check out ip aliasing, ip masquerading, port forwarding, and iptables. learn these. learn what they are and how to use them. disable services you dont need. port 6000 i believe is X. you can disable that, with out disabling X. tell X "tcp-no listen" or something like that.

think of it this way, ports are ways to get into your system. you want them blocked. you want to be able to surf and such, but dont want to be vulnerable. with firewalling there are 3 rules. accept, reject, and drop. drop is like stealth. the information is sent to you, but the sender doesnt know you received it. reject is where you send information to the sender letting them know you are refusing.

Guest Phat Penguin

Port 111 - sunrpc port

Port 515 - printer port

Port 6000 - X11 Server

I can see no real good reason to have these open to the world, my suggestion is to close them down to the outside. A skilled attacker could exploit these services if they are not patched and/or a new vulnerability is found. As for having these open to the world, Concern - yes, Panic - not just yet :)

Its a while since I used Mandrake and I assume you are using Mandrake, from the Mandrake mail list archives I found ...

Add the following to /etc/security/msec/level.local:

from mseclib import *

allow_x_connections(NONE, no)

or

open /usr/X11R6/bin/startx and add "-nolisten tcp"

to DEFAULTCLIENTARGS and DEFAULTSERVERARGS

should add a permanent fix for the Port 6000 problem, (if having a remote connection to your X Session is a problem of course) and firewalling off the other two ports should lock things down. For the time being, unless the sunrpc or printer services are required .... go to the Control Center > Services (I think from memory) and turn them off .... then scan again and see how you go.

Mine from DSLreports PORT SCAN: "Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect nothing interesting on any of the default ports on your IP address. Your computer appears to be a hard target. Well done!" -- got to be fairly happy with that result.

If you are in mandrake you can just go into the mandrake control center and turn on the firewall utility (it's under networking). it should take care of closing these ports off. the X11 port is something you DEFINITELY do not want open to the world. sunrpc isn't a huge deal, but better safe than sorry. i don't know much about the printer port, but i'm sure you don't want people printing random things off ;)