LG has released fix for dead CD-ROMs

ocilent1

OK the readme that comes with the firware update says it is not intended for OEM drives on IBM, etc. computers. I have and IBM 300PL and I have the same problem of the light staying solid and the update not detecting the drive. Has anyone found a workaround for this besides updating in another computer? I don't have ready access to another comp at this point in time and I've spent days trying to fix this already.

• 2 months later...

Too late for me... :(

I apparently have an LG drive and tried to install 9.2 using some CD's I bought online. I attempted an install and found out about this issue after the fact. My CD and DVD drives are not recognized!!!

It seems that there is a fix for this problem, but I don't have a floppy drive!!!

Is there hope to save this CD drive??? (GCR-8481B)

*sniff sniff*

Well, I had this problem on one system, and you really need a floppy to revive the drive. Worse, in the whole process, even if you have a spare drive lying around (which I did), is that your install disc is still in the dead drive.....

Can you borrow some time on a friends computer that has a floppy? Or borrow a floppy + cable?