gDesklets

liquidzoo

Ok, here's the deal.

I upgraded my perfectly working, but a bit buggy, version of gDesklets to the new version 0.24 using the contrib rpm. I also upgraded my starterbar version from 0.11 (I think) to 0.22.1. Now the starterbar won't start at all.

I got a weird error about a Python C API mismatch so I thought I would upgrade Python and everything associated with gDesklets...until I saw that it wanted to uninstall half of my system (including Gnome 2.4 :wacko: )

So...I finally upgraded my desktop system to 9.2 thinking that would help. Once again, I installed both gDesklets and the starterbar from cooker/contrib rpms that I had already downloaded on my system. During the upgrade, I did not format my /home partition because I never do, so everything that gDesklets had put there is still there. Maybe this is a problem?

Anyway, long story short, the starterbar still doesn't work. I tried both the bz2 and the rpm versions. When I try to open it in a console, I get this:

Error opening html

or something very similar (please forgive me, I'm at work and I don't really remember). I had the same error at the end of the Python API mismatch message in 9.1

Has anyone else come across this error? Might it have something to do with the existing ~/.gdesklets folder? I'm willing to give anything a try, so if you could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

the error opening html is normal in 9.2 and doesn't effect gdesklets ability to work. the problem with starterbar is something else, which I talked to pycage about on IRC last week sometime. He said other people where having this issue, but apparently hasn't put together a fix unless it's in 0.24.1

I had this problem and never got it working...and pycage didn't have any tips or an answer for me at the time (but he was in a hurry to get some sleep). if you want to check with him on it just jump on irc.gimp.net and into #gdesklets and he may be around...he's very helpful and helped me solve an issue i was having.

my only suggestion is to try sending it the full path to the .display, i.e.:

gdesklets /path/to/starterbar.display