having trouble with Kaddressbook

arthurking

Hi, I upgraded from 9.1 to 9.2rc2. There were a few teething troubles, not related to this new one, but now sorted.

Now my problem is that I cannot save my kaddressbook when logged in as user. That is I create the addressbook then hit save and the error comes up

"there was an error while attempting to save the address book. Please check that some other application is not using it"

I'm 99.9% sure that no other app is using it. The only app I got running at the time is addressbook. If there is some hidden process that may affect add~book, can you help ?

I got curious/fed up, so I created an addressbook logged in as root, no problems.

It save without a hassle. Now I have an addressbook but I have to be logged in as root to access it :unsure:

Could it be a permission issue ? Where does addressbook save its config file, and can I copy (as root) my root kadd~book file to the equivalent place in my home dir for it to work ?

Kaddressbook docs are a bit thin on the ground.

thanks for your help

don't know if this will work, but i found a Google Search reference to that problem. it says the solution is to delete the following files in:

~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/lock/

might be worth a shot. before i'd delete anything, i'd back those files up, just in case.......

Chris

Thanks chris. Yeah I eventually found that its a .vcf file in the dir you stated. I didn't know about the lock dir, I just deleted the kabc dir.

Got that sorted out and now I'm in buisiness.

One thing that may have had something to do with my problem (but I don't care now) was that I had a kab directory in the ~.kde/share/apps/

dir. In my root account I had no kab dir.

Anyhow thanks for your reply and I'm sorted

ps. I don't trust google, I found no info on my problem, just links to the same documentation on kaddressbook !!

Edited by arthurking

arthurking wrote:

ps. I don't trust google, I found no info on my problem, just links to the same documentation on kaddressbook !!

:o :unsure: B)

Google is your friend! especially if you know how to use it properly. one Google hint, if you don't know this already..........when trying to find answers to Linux specific problems, trying searching Google using the following url........

http://www.google.com/linux

;)

Chris

Hi again chris.

I should have been more specific about my distrust for google.

What i really meant was that I rekon that if we both did a search at the same time for the exact same problem using the same search terms we'd probably get different results !

I don't know.

Lately my nightly entertainment has involved lots of 'googling' for various reasons.

I really need to get a life !

And I do use the /linux option on my linux box, and standard google on the windows box.

cheers.