Problem with 9700 Pro OpenGL drivers

DStar

Hi. I'm having a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have Mandrake 9.2 installed (download edition). I downloaded the ATI drivers for XFree 4.3.0 from ATI's website and installed them using urpmi, hoping to get hardware accelerated OpenGL. I had to use --allow-force. I also had to download the kernel source (40MB on dialup) because for some reason Mandrake didn't seem to think normal users need the kernel source and didn't include it in the ISOs.

A wizzard guided me through the configuration, allowing me to choose screenmodes, number of FSAA samples etc. and wrote the XF86Config-4 file. At the end, it said install was succesfully completed. 2D works fine, just like it did before, but 3D performance is unchanged. Tux Racer still runs at about 1 FPS and there's no sign of FSAA even though I selected 4 samples in the configuration wizzard.

I'm running:

8RDA+ (NForce2 chipset), XP 2400+ (@183x12), 512MB RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro (Connect3D), Audigy2.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 9800 pro. from the information i have gathered the drivers seem to conflict with the entire install of xfree86 on mandrake. forceing them to install will get you 2d without acceleration on any res but your still stuck useing messa gl.

i think it has to do with there current firegl drivers not the system.