Correct way to install Freetype2?

Guest HaloScan

Guest HaloScan

In my attempt to get better looking fonts in Mandrake 9, I installed the Freetype 2 rpm from the texstar website. It messed up so many things so badly that I had to reformat.

I'm currently sitting on a fresh install of Mandrake 9 hoping someone here will tell me the proper place to get freetype2 (as texstar's seems to be dangerous) and tell me the best procedure on installing this (and removing freetype1.3 if it's necessary).

And any other tips on getting better looking fonts in Mandrake would be appreciated (I've already read the other font related posts in this forum).

Check out these 2 threads and the links in them.

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=420

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=429

It seems that some people have had the same trouble with texstars freetype2. I just installed freetype2 from plf. I used gnome at the time, but now fluxbox, so I put GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my ~/.xinitrc, and in a terminal

export GDK_USE_XFT=1

If you use kde, but have some gnome/gtk apps, I would think you could put GDK_USE_XFT=1 in a script, in your ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory or make a desktop shortcut to execute this and drag it into the Autostart directory.

The only thing I've ever seen for kde/QT is to

export QT_XFT=1

and I'd put this in Autostart as well, IF after you install freetype from plf you don't notice changes.

In a terminal do

printenv

and you should see

GDK_USE_XFT=1

and I think

QT_XFT=1

I say think, because mine says

QT_XFT=0

but I don't use kde. I only have a few qt apps I use every now and then, and they look good so I don't know?

How you can use something here

:)

Guest HaloScan

Thanks all. PLF's rpms seem to work great. I also enabled AA in kde's control center (adding the USE XFT lines apparently caused a problem since X refused to start).

Freetype 2plf + AA + Keramik theme + Crystal icon set = Beautiful desktop :)